Too old to start?

douglas lee

Hello all. I have posted here a few times but am by no means a professional wedding photographer.

Anyway, my question is am I too old to be a wedding photographer? I'm 51.

I have done weddings in the past as a 2nd shooter and as primary shooter for a local studio. That was 5

years ago. So, I have some idea of the energy level required. I guess my real concern is can a "mature"

photog start into weddings? Or is it really a business for the younger crowd?

I am thinking about doing it, but am uncertain. I have no visions of becoming famous (infamous, maybe!).

Thanks for any comments.

-Doug

Nope. Not too old. If you can do the work (are fit enough) and can handle the stress and are good at photography (understand light, capture and your equipment) are willing to work weekends and with people and connect to brides to sell your work, you will do fine.

Age has nothing to do with it. Being a good photographer with good business skills has everything to do with it.

Actually I think 50 1/2 is the cut off date so you're out of luck.....just kidding.

You're never too old to start although as I approach 60 I find the tough part about getting down for a low shot is getting back up again. But other that that I still enjoy my work, and I started doing weddings in 1967.

Good luck,

Jim Marby

Hey Doug,

if you plan on laying the flowers around the bottom of the dress....then yes your to old. If you plan on the bride holding them,shooting from a low angle and letting in some flair then your good to go! Go for it....your customers will dictate whether you continue or not......I'm 47 but feel 19 :)

Wow! Al Gilbert is 85 and still working! I didn't realize that. He was one of the great ones when I was just starting out.

I'm 70 and have photographed 11 weddings so far this year, in addition to my commercial/architectural work. I have another one on Saturday.

Think young, Doug. Thinking old will kill you.

Thanks guys and gals. Appreciate all your comments and thoughts. So, age isn't a

problem. Just got to work on all the other aspects!

Guess I'll go signup for that wedding photography continuing ed course at the University

of the Arts in Philly and see if that inspires me or derails me. If anyone needs a 2nd

shooter or bag tooter in the Philly/Soth Jersey area let me know.

Again,thanks. I really enjoy this particular forum here on photo.net.

-Doug

"Thanks for the input. I'll remember your advice when I am layed up in traction from carrying

camera bag, equipment bag, and lighting equipment up 3 flights of stairs because the

elevator is out of order!"

Some words of advice. Assistant. Really well fitted, comfortable shoes. Assistant. Rolling bag.

Assistant. Hydrate. Assistant. Work out on off months. Did I mention Assistant?

Thanks Marc. I think I'l try being the assistant for awhile myself. I'd love to be talented

enough to shoot a whole wedding available light with 2 M8s and 3 lenses.

In the meantime "Assistant. Really well fitted, comfortable shoes. Assistant. Rolling bag.

Assistant. Hydrate. Assistant. Work out on off months. Did I mention Assistant?"

Read my bio. I started my wedding and PR and newspaper business at 64 and ran it til I was 71. I held leadership jobs in my previous profession and people trusted me. My business grew to the point where it got overwhelming from the work it generated so I dissolved when I was 71, It was rewarding and successful.

"I'd love to be talented enough to shoot a whole wedding available light with 2 M8s and 3

lenses."

Don't discount the underlying concept of that Douglas. If working alone without an

assistant, less can be more. 2 smaller cameras and a couple of good lenses can be a God

sent about 5 hours into an 7 or 8 hour day. There are some pretty darn good small

cameras out there that cost a LOT less than a Leica. But even a M8 can be had for less

than a new Canon 1DMKIII , and shoots better photos IMO. You don't have to buy $4,000.

Leica glass either. Older M lenses are a better buy, like a 90/2 for $700. ... or there are

Zeiss and Voigtlander optics for a fraction of the cost even new.

Bob -- I'd like to pretend I'm 30! OK, 51 isn't old, I know. I just know wedding

photography takes a lot of physical and mental energy. Of course, digital helps with some

of the mental lapses. The image review can let you know if you blew an exposure on an

important shot so you can attempt to retake.

C Jo -- like the card. How are those cell phones in low light?!

Marc -- I'm not discounting it. However, I think it takes great skill and attention to

detail/light that I currently do not posses. Although, I took a step in that direction

yesterday by acquiring a Nikon D3. (Yes, I am an equipment junkie. I admit it.)

My prior wedding experience was shooting for a local studio where I learned alot (well, I

started from ground zero.) We shot medium format with on-camera flash plus an umbrella

for the formals, on-camera flash plus two lights on stands for the reception/dance floor,

and on-camera flash during the ceremony (when allowed.) Usually 1/30 @ f8. I learned to

hate camera brackets and schlepping all the equipment around. Usually by myself,

sometimes with someone else on the bigger packages.

So, I want to second shoot to get back in the swing of things (don't care if I get paid) and

then see if I can expand my skill set/confidence to allow me to do my own weddings. I'd

love to be able to get by with Nikon SB-800s for all my lighting needs. I figure with the

D3 and D300 I may actually be able to pull it off. I think it all depends on my skill/ability

when it comes to available light.

I think I have the equipment covered: D3, D300, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all f2.8, 35 f2 and

85 f1.4 plus 3 SB-800s. May need to add radio slaves, but I'd prefer to use Nikon's CLS

system and maybe add external power packs for the SB-800s.

Well, I have rambled far too long which means this thread has run its course. Again, thanks

for all the great advice!

Douglas Lee

"C Jo -- like the card. How are those cell phones in low light?!"

Hey ~ it's my "budget" package :-)

I don't know how you guys and carry all that gear around -- must be the young ones,,, I carry a Canon EOS 3, flash ~ with a 28-70 ...that's it. If its more than a 4 hour coverage, I might bring a monopod to rest my camera :-) A EOS A2 sits on a tripod > with a 70-200 :: for the occasional Church interior.