Too old to change?

After a near lifelong interest in photography and the accumulation of much film and digital equipment and now well into my 70's, I feel like giving it all away and settling on one camera and one lens. I am hoping that the proposed Fuji GFXR with 45mm f:2.8 will be what fits the bill.

My "serious" photography start in the 1970's with 4x5 and 135mm lens. Not easy to lug around with tripod and film, but the results were very satisfying. I hope the Fuji can give me the same feeling about photography.

If the GFX + 45mm matches your 4x5 combination, then I think you're onto a winner there. If you generally only take photos of static scenes, maybe the A7rIII could be an alternative, thanks to its high res mode. But, the GFX system is a winner. Plus, it would be fun to see how many SLR lenses have an image circle large enough to cover that sensor. ;-)

Maybe the "change" will be that your feelings about photography won't rest on the feelings you have about your gear! :) I think it often happens, and maybe especially as we age, that letting go of some amount of material possessions (often required as we downsize in our elder years) brings a new kind of liberation even as we may miss some of the things we're giving up. Focus on the new pictures you still can make and I think you'll be just fine, no matter what gear you wind up with.
  • Like 2
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

now well into my 70's,

Never surrender! Sometimes a new thing ignites interest in others that you have had for years. A couple of collections of things I sold or traded would be worth more to me today than what I got for them. We are in similar age range, and I do understand the urge to move stuff out. I think I'm going to let others worry about that after I'm gone and enjoy my various toys (even buy an occasional new one). Best of luck!

• Like 1

yeah culling the herd isn't easy. I tried that once and thought I had my dream camera(s), sold the rest off. After using my dream camera for a few months I was sorry I got rid of the others. They all seemed to fill a gap for one another.

So over the years I bought most all back plus some... its that GAS ya get in your old age. I love my toys too.

• Like 1
The more you say, the less people listen.

I generally agree with Fred and Chuck's posts on accumulating too much "stuff".

But.......

I considered seriously getting rid of all of my film cameras and lenses, not a huge collection, but a modest Pentax 35 mm set I had added to from eBay over a decade or so. Then I bought my only digital SLR which would breathe new life into that old quality Pentax glass. As time went by film gained renewed interest and my enjoyment of using the old stuff I grew up with has been renewed.

Today I went for a ride down old county tree canopied back roads I haven't traveled since my early teens. In the seat beside me a Nikon F3, F2, and FM2n.

Loaded with Velvia 50, TMax, and Velvia 100, a 135, 50, and a 20 mounted to them. Made for a wonderful trip down memory lane.

I am soon Moving On from the county where I have spent my 57 years to new horizons in a different state.

Old Cameras in Old Haunts are creating a sort of goodbye photo journal. I like the mating of the tools to the subject.

VERY glad I still have the old film cameras that at one time I almost got rid of.

• Like 5

I've never left film completely behind. In the last year I've bought several F2's, accessories and a lot of mf glass to go with them. Also finished getting the darkroom ready to use. Honestly I got very bored with digital for a while and that motivated me. I've always enjoyed the process from shooting through all the darkroom work. Tri-X rules!!

Rick H.

• Like 2

I found that much as I have tried, ONE camera does NOT work for all that I want to shoot.

So I have multiple systems; P&S, m4/3, APS-C/DX, and maybe FF/FX. Each system seems to fill a gap that the others don't fill well enough.

Due to my aging and the weight of gear, I may be forced to drop FF/FX in favor of m4/3.

But, I may simply use heavy FF/FX as I do 4x5, where I use the 4x5 within 100 feet of the car or where I can move the gear by cart.

• Like 1

Let me explain my post above.

In my old days, I was a 35mm SLR biggot. I did NOT shoot any other camera.

But pulling out the SLR and flash for grab shots at home was a hassle, so I did not do it. As a result I did not get MANY family pix that I now regret missing.

When that realization finally got through my skull, I got a 35mm P&S, and geez did it get used. That showed me again, how much the SLR was not being used.

Until a few months ago I had a digital P&S and my DSLR.

What I found was that I was taking the P&S because my DSLR was heavy and a hassle to take. But the P&S was not up to the quality level that I wanted, and I was just getting frustrated with the P&S.

That began a search for a "tweener." Smaller and lighter than the DSLR, and better quality and flexibility than the P&S.

That naturally lead to the Nikon D3400 + 18-55, as the smallest and lightest Nikon DSLR.

Along the way, I discovered the micro 4/3 system. Camera and lenses smaller and lighter than my DSLR. I would not have to give up on functionality, as I would have with the small DSLR (D3400 + 18-55 kit). 16MP was good enough. The con was that it was a different system, so I could not use any of my existing lenses, as I did with my film era lenses on my DSLR.

I went m4/3 as my "tweener."

My DSLR is my primary system, with the m4/3 as my secondary system.

I think it is/will be a 70:30 usage split.

The DSLR is better at low light shooting than the smaller sensor m4/3, and shooting sports because I have the lenses for sports.

As I am getting older (a senior citizen), I found that I cannot carry the weight of gear that I used to easily carry when I was in college.

So the heavy gear is being used like my view camera, only where I can easily take by car or on a cart.

I can see the day when my DSLR kit is too heavy for me to haul around, and I will have to downsize to the m4/3.

BTW, I have an Olympus OM kit, for the day when I decide my Nikon F and lenses is too heavy to haul about also.

In my old days, I was a 35mm SLR biggot. I did NOT shoot any other camera.

But pulling out the SLR and flash for grab shots at home was a hassle, so I did not do it. As a result I did not get MANY family pix that I now regret missing.

When that realization finally got through my skull, I got a 35mm P&S, and geez did it get used. That showed me again, how much the SLR was not being used.

That I can totally relate to but wouldn't a smartphone do just as good a job taking quick snaps at less cost? Probably not as fun and versatile I'm assuming.

I'm stuck with my 2006 Pentax K100D DSLR with kit and two film legacy zoom lenses, Sigma 70-300mm & 28-80mm. And all exposure adjusts are broken and I'm forced to use Exposure Lock by metering the light and checking histogram in any non-manual Auto mode. Manual is broke as well. I gave up taking quick snaps.

I'm too hooked on the image quality of large sensor low resolution Raw captures. The clean saw tooth edges shooting with 6MP at 300mm 50 yards away in my local park is too good to swap for small sensor P&S's.

John, I don't know if you will be happy with one camera, but one of the replies is truly out of proportion:

"Do not go gentle into that good night!" - Dylan Thomas

That is one grim poem about death, albeit about resisting death when it is near. Since you asked about cameras, objects, things for which we develop affection because they are useful to us, let me suggest Pablo Neruda's Ode To My Socks, which you can find translated into English here.

John, I don't know if you will be happy with one camera, but one of the replies is truly out of proportion

I don't think so.

Many people enjoy remaining active and engaged as they age. Old long familiar activities are great for that.

Just a couple of weeks ago my Dad, in his 80's and Uncle, in his 70's met me to shoot guns they had since their teens. Those old firearms make for great storytelling and they carry a huge amount of personal history that added to the enjoyment of the day.

Such activity is vital to remaining healthy both in mind and body.

Neither of those two will go quietly.

Both still know how to make a bang.

Since you asked about cameras, objects, things for which we develop affection because they are useful to us, let me suggest Pablo Neruda's Ode To My Socks

LOL. Good point.

My guess is that Dylan Thomas saying, "Do no go gentle into that good night" and his "rage, rage, against the dying of the light" might have been thinking not just about continuing to take pictures but continuing to take pictures that matter, even about daring to take pictures that matter. Maybe he would have also been thinking about what gear to hold onto in order to do that . . . though that wouldn't be how I see the poem.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, due to my lack of age. I doubt "too old" to exist. - If you fancy a toy, you are physically able to handle: Get your hands on it!

On the other hand: I can't get the idea of "One camera, one prime lens" into my skull and the GFX R seems to come with drawbacks, compared to others.

Do you have to ditch everything else, to be able to afford that dream? Or are you just downsizing?

If I was in a retiring mood, I'd probably ditch a lot too. - Core possession to keep would most likely be my Monochrom. - But I have lenses for it and would love to stick to them. - I'd feel naked encountering interesting people without something portrait lens at hand and like that focal length for wandering boring somewhat familiar environments too. - But yes, I understand why some folks shoot street with a 35mm or take nothing else on their vacations. - I'd use mine too.

I 'm trying to recommend keeping a versatile and portable alternative, if you own such. - Any odd basic APS SLR with maybe an endless kit zoom like 18-70 or even 18-120 and maybe another prime you like or a mirrorless counterpart, equalling that performance. - No clue what you have or like. If it is small Fujis, the more recent ones might be fine, mine were too early. - The alternative system I am describing is meant to be a drop back work horse. - Not overly fancy but usable.

The aging gear ditchers who impressed me most so far downsized to a resolution and lens line wise reasonable core of their former systems. Late Al Kaplan is one example (obviously still impressing me) others let their FF stuff go and jump on MFT for portability's sake.

Anyhow: Keep shooting and having fun!

My guess is that Dylan Thomas saying, "Do no go gentle into that good night" and his "rage, rage, against the dying of the light" might have been thinking not just about continuing to take pictures but continuing to take pictures that matter, even about daring to take pictures that matter.

Too right, Fred. Photos that matter matter :-)