Too big to fail

john_cooper9

<p>Do you remember the final scene in the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". The two heroes sprang out of their hideout with guns ablaze only to be killed by an army. The camera zooms away to a wide shot. I read that this was accomplished with an 8x10 film camera that shot the original view and the zoom effect was from this piece of film.<br>

I am still pursuing this approach:<br>

1) found an old Linhof Kardan TE on Craig's list for $40,<br />2) found a 4x10 back that fits the Kardan TE from China on Ebay for $940 shipped free,<br />3) found on Ebay Fujinon SW in 105 and 125mm,<br />4) found on Ebay Fujinon W 250mm and Schneider SA 121mm,<br />5) still looking for a 300mm and 360mm, but they are too expensive,<br />6) have 14 sheets of 4x10 FP4 in the freezer,<br />7) have 10 sheets of 8x10 Provia that need cutting, also in the freezer,<br />8) have a Fotoman splitter and are waiting for a changing tent to come from China.<br>

I think I will stay nearer to home and take images of our local parks and river and sea locations. I still get a thrill out of looking at large images on a light box. Ones I really like can be scanned and made into large prints.<br>

I plan to do scouting of locations with my Sony A700 digital camera with 21-35mm and 24mm old Minolta AF lenses. I will also use my Linhof 6x9 viewer that goes from 53-240mm.</p>

<p>Bob this TE had been in Florida on the coast, had sea salt corrosion except for the rail. It had a lens, a 75mm f:6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon in a Copal 0 shutter which is completely useless! The owner was a local photographer who had given up the business some time ago and it was kept in a storage shed. Didn't the TE come out in the early 1980's. The rail apparently will last forever.</p>

<p>Bob will you be at the NANPA conference in Jacksonville next year?</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Bob, I found out the hard way - they do not. My newly acquired Kardan TL uses a much bigger dovetailed rail. However, the TE/TL parts all can slide on the big rail. I now have a TE/TL with 4x5 and 5x7 backs, plus the Chinese made 4x10. </p>

<p>Will you be at the NANPA conference here in Jacksonville FL?</p>