What you see in the photo is the Tomiyama 6x24 cm Art camera! I would like to

know if any of you own a camera like this out there? I would like to get

backround information on the maker Mr Tomiyama, which year between those

cameras had been manufactured and of course how many had been made during

those years! I know that there is some 6x12 and 6x17 are also out there but

don't seem to get info on those! Maybe a Tomiyama club in the future? Just how

many are we exacly?

Frank, <br>

I am not familiar with these kind of cameras at all, but getting interested in panorama shooting, trying to research among Japanese websites.<br>

<br>

As you mentioned, Tomiyama Seisakusho (means Factory) has been producing panorama cameras in 6x24 (since 1978), 6x17 / 6x12 (since 1980). I'm not sure but they are said to have the same lens mount as Mamiya Press, so that they take vast range of lenses.<br>

<br>

Tomiyama is in active service even today in Tokyo (though not famous). They participate in some recent camera shows with their panorama cameras and large format accessories. Some professional shops keep selling or renting Tomiyama's "Art Panorama" cameras.

As for "Art" brand, all Tomiyama's cameras have been named so since their old "Artflex" TLR in 6x9 format.<br>

<br>

For further information, you might contact them at:<br>

Tomiyama Seisakusho<br>

4-1 Matsushima 4-chome Edogawa Tokyo 1320031 Japan<br>

Phone +81 3-3651-9232<br>

<br>

More resources on the net:<br>

<a href="http://www.mediajoy.com/en/camera_review/art_panorama170/" target="blank">http://www.mediajoy.com/en/camera_review/art_panorama170/</a><br>

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Art+Panorama%22++240+OR+170" target="blank">

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Art+Panorama%22++240+OR+170</a>

<i>....I'm not sure but they are said to have the same lens mount as Mamiya Press, so that they take vast range of lenses....</i></p>

I cannot imagin that a Press lens covers 6x24, you need a 8x10 LF lens,<p> or at least a well stopped down 5x7 lens as there are no movements.<p>

Regards<p>

Martin

I had the same doubt as Martin's, so I inquired of Tomiyama directly by phone a few minutes ago and got several new facts.<br>

<br>

1. Tomiyama discontinued all models of panorama cameras about five years ago... Therefore, there's no channel to get new one today. I am so sorry for yesterday's misinformation.<br>

<br>

2. There were three models on sale:<br>

Art Panorama 240 : 6x24 (and 6x17 with film mask)<br>

Art Panorama 170 : 6x17 (and 6x12 with film mask)<br>

Art Panorama 120 : 6x12.<br>

<br>

3. Among three models, 240 and 170 had bellows for focusing, and the lens was built-in (not interchangeable). While, 120 had helical focusing mount which was surely compatible with Mamiya Press (!). 120 could take focal length from 75mm to ...ah. (he forgot it.)<br>

<br>

4. The history of their "Art" brand started when they developed the very first Japanese-made view camera(!). Named "Art View", 4x5. Long later, they also released "Artflex" 6x9 TLR.

Thanks for your answer! Very informativ but do you know ho many they manufactured and where they went the most? US, Europe or maybe the most of it stayed in Japan.

Also I do beleive that at the case of the 6x24 you must have a lens which cover 8x10 well otherwise you got light fall on the edges of your negatives.

Frank!

Frank, please excuse my delay.<br>

<br>

First, as for the production scale, I personally have no idea. Probably very very small lot -- There would be nothing surprising if only a few hundred had been manufacured through those 23 years.<br><br>

Second, the cameras' main market would have been outside Japan, I suppose. The websites mentioning about Art Panorama cameras are overwhelmingly written in English and in other Europian languages. Only a few detailed sites in Japanese.<br>

<br>

Third, the image circle... Well, I am not sure if the Nikon SW120 which is built in Art Panorama 240 is identical with one in <a href="http://www.europe-nikon.com/uploads/npt/Brochures/LF_lenses_141A.pdf" target="blank">[ this brochure (PDF)]</a>, but according to this spec, the aperture has to be stopped down appropriately -- the brochure says it has an image circle of 312mm (covers 8x10) when stopped down to f22, but only 200mm when wide opened (f8).<br>

By the way, Frank, if you are interested in studying further, I have a suggestion.<br>

On Tuesday, I tried to contact the person at Tomiyama again, who knew well about the panorama cameras, but he was then out for a trade show. For coming weeks, he seems too busy to enjoy talking old days on the business-time phone.<br><br>

Actually, he was called "Mr. Tomiyama, Sales Dept." ("Jr." I assume). He must be one of few persons who know furthest -- even though not "everything". If you would like, I can write a letter to him about all you want to know in order. Not a prompt way, but we could give him a sufficient time to recall. :-)<br>

PS -- Please feel free to email me, if you think the topic may exceed the public extent.<br>