Tokina (with canon mount) onto my Nikon D40x?

ed_lemko

<p>My dad has a Canon A1 camera for which he has 3 lenses. One is a Tokina and I'd like to use it on my newer Nikon D40x. I'm wondering if there's an adapter that will let me do this, what it's called, and where I could find it (and do the chinese make an acceptable knockoff?) <br>

I know that this lens won't autofocus on my Nikon, no probably autometer, but it's free. <br>

The lens has the folowing specs that I'm reading off<br>

Aperture dial ranges from 2.8 through 22.<br>

Zoom ranges from 24 to 40mm<br>

Focus dial ranges from 0.4 to OO. The case says "Tokina AT-X"<br>

I'm not one to understand older equipment much since my only camera is a newer DSLR, so any help would be appreciated.<br>

I'd either use it, or he has to sell it with the body and other lenses on fleabay probably, so I'm just trying to see if I can redeploy an older lens. My existing are Nikon 35mm 1.8G AF-S prime, Sigma 18-200mm HSM zoom, sigma 50-150mm HSM 2.8 zoom, and a slower Sigma 70-300mm APO zoom, all nikon mount obviously.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>It is possible, but <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00SZQa">requires an optical element in the adapter</a> to retain infinity focus. So you don't really have a straight adapter, but rather a weak teleconverter. Obviously the optical performance will be degraded, and I would expect a wide angle fast zoom like the <a href="http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/volksphoto/_HSC8652.JPG">AT-X 24~40mm f/2.8</a> to show more obvious aberrations (wide angle zoom lenses do not do well with teleconverters, even weak ones). And because of the element in the adapter, it won't be 24~40mm anymore either.</p>

<p>Aside from the fact that there will be no auto-diaphragm (so your viewfinder will get progressively darker as you stop down), you will have no in-camera metering with the D40x, which makes such a combo that probably gives dubious results even more difficult to use. In short, I don't think it's worth it. Because of the short register distance, FD mount lenses simply do not lend themselves well to adapting to other camera mounts, be they digital or film.</p>

<p>Canon FD to Nikon F mount adapter: http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/canon-fd-nikon-adapter.htm<br /> (Caveat emptor ... I have no experience with the above vendor and have no idea about the quality of the adapter.)</p>

<p>Hmmm.... Degradation in optical performance didn't dawn on me.... The viewfinder getting darker didn't dawn on me either... Thank you Michael, Peter, and Sheldon. I guess I'm pressing the Abort key on this idea. <br>

On followup to Michael- the serious performance and technical downsides you point out-- which of those have to do with the <em>adapter </em>needed, and which have to do with simply using a manual lens on an otherwise "automatic" body? e.i.) I'm still toying with getting this-<br>

<a href="http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Rokinon-85mm-f-1.4-Portrait-Lens-for-Nikon-Cameras/3915062/product.html">http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Rokinon-85mm-f-1.4-Portrait-Lens-for-Nikon-Cameras/3915062/product.html</a><br>

A lens with which I'd have to manual focus, and there would be no, I assume again, light metering etc. But would it be as bad (viewfinder getting darker etc) as my previous idea? In this case, it already has a Nikon mount. I'm interested in the low f-value in this lens for great portrait and low-light photos.</p>

<p>The performance and technical downsides, specifically the lack of auto-diaphragm and image degradation, are related to the adapter only. If this lens were to be an F-mount copy rather than a Canon FD mount, you could happily use it on your Nikon without those issues.</p>

<p>With respect to the Rokinon 85/1.4, you could use it on your D40x. There would be no viewfinder darkening as the lens aperture would fully couple to the camera just as your autofocus lenses do. But you would have no light metering and would only be able to use it in M exposure mode. No TTL flash metering either. Manually focusing such a wide aperture lens accurately might also be a challenge on the D40x, as the viewfinder is apparently not the best for that sort of task.</p>

<p>Incidentally, it's the same lens as the Vivitar 85/1.4 shown on the same page as above, but with different external cosmetics.</p>