Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 AF II SD on D70?

eric_.

Hello all,

Can anyone please tell me if the Tokina AT-X 300mm f/2.8 AF II SD

will work on a D70? Do you know of any incompatibility issues?

How does this lens compare quality wise to the original Nikkor 300mm

f/2.8 or f/4 lenses?

Thanks.

FWIW, I had the original AF version of this lens. Build and optical quality was very good.

Sold it when I came across a then very good deal on a Nikkor AFI lens with teleconverters.

Had a chnace to compare them. I thought optically they were both very well matched when

used by themselves. When used with teleconverters, that's when I saw the biggest

difference. The Nikkor with it's dedicated TC1.4AFI was very good. The Tokina with a

Tamron TC was just OK. Obviously the TC made a big difference: the Nikkor was a $500

TC, the Tamron, a $100 TC. Build quality: both were well made. The Nikkor definitely

much high/better grade. Again we're talking about a $5000 lens vs. a $2000, so no

surprise there. The built in AF motor of the Nikkor made shooting sports and the like a

piece of cake. The Tokina on an F5 focused fast but not in the same league. This was more

pronouced when using the inexpensive Tamron TC. If not shooting sports and the like and

don't have need for TCs, I think the Tokina is a good value. the Sigma 120-300/2.8 also

seems a good value but do not have any experince with it.

The only one Tokina lens I've heard of that does not function fully is the ATX 400/5.6 AF

which was discontinued years ago before the D70 or even the D100 came out. I think

Tokina does offer a service to update the electronics. Have not heard of similar problems

with other Tokinas, but you never know. If at all possible, check both out at a local dealer.

• 3 years later...