Tokina 80-400mm on OM-D?

josiah_brown

Has anyone tried the tokina 80-400mm (not the new one,

the old film one) on the Olympus om-d em-1 before?

How is the image quality? I was thinking of this because

it's a lot cheaper on eBay than the Panasonic 100-300,

has more reach and a brighter aperture. Any thoughts?

Josiah.

P.S. I'm an a tight budget so the Panasonic won't work.

<p>There are a few decent long zooms from the film era that don't carry the cachet and price premium of the big brands. I have a 60-300mm f4-5.6 zoom, branded Polar, which was made by Samyang and is a surprisingly good lens. If you can find one on eBay or elsewhere you won't pay much. I use it on a GF1 and a GX7 and I like the results.<br>

I can't comment on the Tokina. </p><div>00e9BQ-565463484.jpg.99d741165091e411ab0b2cb5d0b482f7.jpg</div>

<p>Adapting classic primes is quite the popular thing to do with all brands of mirrorless cameras.</p>

<p>Zooms add a whole other level of complexity to the game, especially if you plan on using the in-body stabilization system, as every time you move that zoom ring, you are going to have to change the focal length manually within the IS system in order to have it work properly.</p>

<p>To be honest, if I was on THAT tight a budget, I'd pick up a 40-150mm f4-5.6 M. Zuiko that's regularly $199, but can often be bought on sale for $99, and use the digital teleconverter as needed or just crop the image myself in post-processing if I wanted to go longer. Manual focus zooms that cannot utilize the in-camera technology without user intervention would be a PITA.</p>