Tokina 12-24/F4 verses Nikon 12-24/F4

gary van schaick

Although I don't own the Tokina 12-24, but do own the Nikon, I can give an educated guess as to the differences...The Tokina will have very similar performance at all focal lengths and f stops except for 12mm and wide open, here the Nikon will slightly surpass it; the Tokina will be heavier, good because it signals build quality, bad because the Nikon can perform as well/better with less weight; the Tokina, if a screw focus vs Nikon's AFS will focus slightly slower, be slightly noisier, and use slightly more battery life than the Nikon; I suspect resale of used lens will be similar, you would expect to lose about 20% of the new value should you sell. I believe it's priced right for the few differences it has with the Nikon. Bob.

I've used he Sigma 12-24 for several months, and like it a lot. It does have a silent

internal-motor HSM (similar to AFS) focus

system. As Douglas said, front filters won't work with this lens (although in theory you

can use the strange lenscap to mount an 82?? mm filter that can function at the long end

of the zoom range on a sub-frame DSLR). It's not fast (maximum f4.5) but it's very

surprisingly sharp and has amazingly low distortion. It's physically rather large, and

seems well built -- although not as elegant as a top-tier Nikon or Canon lens.

Caveat: I have not used this lens on a film camera, but it works very well on a 1.3X crop

factor DSLR (Canon 1D).

I have the Tokina, returned the Nikon. From someone who has used both here goes.

Image quality almost exactly the same. Build quality, goes slightly to the Tokina. Focus

speed goes slightly to the Nikon. (lack of) distortion a toss up. While the Nikon has less

distortion at 12mm than the Tokina, the distortion of the Tokina is what I EXPECT to see,

so it's almost welcomed in my opinion. The lack of the distortion in the Nikon gave made

me always check and see if I was at 12mm....Oh the last thing that REALLY annoyed me.

the Nikon zooms in the opposite direction than any other zoom I have ever used, which

makes it couter intuitive to use. The Tokina is a dream to use and at 1/2 the price, was a

no brainer.<div>00AoJR-21419584.jpg.8803b21e660d7b0c455d84255e7660b0.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...