Tokina 11-16mm on 5D

jack_nordine

<p>I have a Tokina 11-16mm lens that I use on several Canon crop bodies. I have read that people have used this lens on a 5D at the 15 and 16mm focal length. However when I've tried this, the mirror doesn't clear. I'm hoping someone can give me some info as to how the Tokina can be used on a 5D. Does clearance vary from camera to camera? Does the back of the lens need to be filed down? There must be some tip on how this can be done. Thanks for your response.</p>

<p>Although Canon makes their digital-only lenses with a 'bumper' that prevents them from mounting on the larger sensor cameras, many third-party digital only lenses mount on the 35mm-frame bodies, sometimes even clearing the mirror. However, they almost always vignette seriously. Often this is not really obvious in the camera viewfinder, because (for reasons that seem logically flawed to me) the viewfinders typically don't actually show the entire image area.<br>

I don't know about the Tokina, but my old Sigma 10-20mm lens mounted and cleared the mirror on my classic 5D, but as shown, the resulting image is vignetted even at the longest focal length.</p><div>00atJA-498637584.jpg.bb9ce7324c2b2522d5e4fb768e8df9db.jpg</div>

<p>I'd be curious whether the original posts you read were w/ 5Ds or 5D2s. It certainly could be that the 5D requires a very slightly greater clearance (?), and the trick will only work with the 5D2s... However, I can't say w/ any specific insight into the Tokina as I've not owned one..<br>

My only experience is w/ the Tamron 10-24/3.5-4.5. It cleared the mirror on both my 5Ds, and my 5D2s. It (unlike the Sigma JDM is referring to) produces an image circle that covers the entire FF sensor on the 5Ds (& 5D2s of course) from ~15mm -> 24mm. At 10-14mm it vignettes with (obviously) varying amounts.</p>

<p>By all means it shouldn't be hitting the mirror, especially since the glass on that lens doesn't extend beyond the mount.<br /> I use my Tokina 12-24 on my 5D without issues. It's perfectly usable without (significant) vignetting from 18-24mm, or down to 16 if I remove the hood. I can't imagine the 11-16 being all that different, in fact <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/supermariano81/6853478324/">this picture clearly shows it working</a> on a 5D.</p>

Marcus I believe you are correct in the 5D needing slightly greater clearence than the 5DII. While I would not bother trying

to use an APS-C lens on a full frame body pebbleplace reports that some Leica R lenses will not work on the 5D without

shaving the mirror ( even though they work on the 1 Ds models and 5DII)

<p>The problem of the larger mirror and less clearance is one that is well-known in the circles that like to adapt old manual focus lenses to Canon EOS cameras, especially the 35mm sensor ones - a relatively good listing of problem lenses on those lines (<em>not</em> on the adaptation of APS-C lenses) can be found at http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/</p>

• 2 weeks later...