Tokina 11-16 mm f/2.8 OR 12-24 mm f/4 ?

ntv666

<p>Dear Guys,<br>

I am going to Leh, Ladakh, nest month. I have 17-55 mm f/2.8 for my D300 and D200. Since I wanted wider coverage for landscapes, Iam thinking of buying either 11-16 mm f/2.8 Tokina or 12-24mm f/4 Tokina. I dont't know , how much angle of coverage I will loose if I go for 12-24mm instead of 11-16 mm. The cost Diff is US $100 and also the zoom range is better in 12-.24mm than 11-16mm. But performancewise , it seems that 11-16 is better. What is your advice and suggestions ? Which one I should go for it? (14-24 mm f/2.8 Nikon is beyond my reach now )</p>

<p>Thangavelu,<br>

Both are excellent lenses. You already have the 17-24 range of the 12-24 covered with more than a stop better in your 17-55. That lens can do the 17-24 range at 2.8 where the 12-24 can only go down to 4. The only question is, is $100 worth it for 2.8 vs 4 for the 11-16mm. I would say yes, since it is such a small difference price-wise for the availability to take shots that the 12-24 can not give you. No brainer in my opinion.</p>

<p>Since you already have 17mm + covered the 11-16 would be a nice addition. It has better image quality and is faster. But I know the problem, I am looking for a wide angle right now myself. I really want to get something that goes to 24mm to make it more versatile, but the image quality of the 11-16 keeps bringing me back to it.</p>

<p>I had the 11-16mm when I used DX. I burrowed friends Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24. If you don't need fast or the last mm of field of view then I think the 12-24 is more versatile, you would not have to change the lens to get past 16mm. If you shot tight in door then the 2.8 wins. Outside the 12-24 wins for me because I would be stopped down to begin with. Both are good just get the one that fits your needs.</p>

<p>Another difference is that the Tokina 12-24mm/f4 now has a new version that includes an AF motor. Therefore, you'll have the equivalent of AF-S. The 11-16mm/f2.8 is screwdriver AF only at this point.<br>

Of course, both the D200 and D300 can AF with either.</p>

<p>I researched this for a long time, and eventually settled on the 11-16... (even reviewed it right here on photo.net)</p>

<p>BUT... I find it a little more than frustrating that any time I want to go a little longer than 16 I have to switch lenses. No question, I made the right choice, because when I use this lens I want to shoot wide and the occasional frustration is just that... occasional. I LOVE the f2.8 aperture. AF is snappy in almost any light, and when I'm at f5.6 I'm two stops down in the sweet spot... I love that. Honestly, imho, I think the 12-24 is a much better choice for most people though. Today, I'd still buy the 11-16... but just barely. (I've shot a LOT of indoor stuff with this lens, and I enjoy the f2.8 for that...)</p>

<p>btw, both are built very well and feel very rugged. And the clutch mechanism is just as easy for me with this lens as AF-S would be. I love it.</p>

<p>For me the 12-24 is the perfect lens for most shooting. Its 18-35mm film equivalent focal length range covers everything I need unless I want to use a longer focal length. Sometimes I wish that it was a 2.8 zoom like most of my other zooms, but being f4 means it's relatively light and compact.</p>

<p>Tokina has recently introduced a new version that has the designation "II." Along with a built-in motor it reportedly has improved lens coatings. Apparently there is a similar version without the new coatings. I haven't seen a review of the "II" lens but if I was buying today I would go for the "II" lens.</p>

<p>Thangavelu, the area you're visiting is unbelievably spectacular – both Leh itself and Ladakh in general. How are you getting in, by air or by road? If you are driving, then both the road from Srinigar (via Kargil) and the one from Manali offer untold unique and unforgettable photographic opportunities.</p>

<p>Given the vast scale of the landscape there, you are definitely barking up the right tree in looking for an ultra-wide. I can't speak from experience regarding either of the lenses you mention, however I do own a Sigma 10-20mm which I find to give excellent results. At this end of the focal range, even a 1mm change in focal length makes a significant difference to your field of view, so perhaps it would be worth adding that lens to your short list also.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that in landscape shooting, you'll rarely be using any lens wide open, so a fast maximum aperture might not be such an important selling point in this case.</p>

<p>Don't forget to take a solid tripod and head. And if possible, take a couple of days to visit the Nubra valley, accessed by passing what is allegedly the highest motorable road in the world.</p>

<p>I'm looking forward to seeing your shots on your return!</p>

<p>Regards<br /> Chris Court</p>

<p>I went from the Sigma 10-20mm to the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. Both are very good, but I had to have the f2.8. That makes the lens much more versatile for me as I often shoot in low light. There is no substitute for speed when you need it.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>i have the 12-24 tokina and it's a great landscape lens and nice to have that longer end for people shots.... but i'd think hard about the 11-16 if i was buying today (which wasnt yet available when i got the 12-24).</p>

<p>since you already have the 17-55, having constant 2.8 from 11-55 might be better than having overlap. the 17-55 will probably see more use anyway, and even if you got the 12-24, you'd still end up switching a lot.</p>

<p>Dear Mr.Chirs,<br>

Thanks for your response about my 11-66 mm Tokina.<br>

<br />I am flying to Leh from Delhi as this was my first time. Next time I will go by road. I am having Manfrotto Pro RB 55 with KRIK BH- 1 ball Head . My 70-2100 AFS -VR 2.8 has been replaced with KRIK Lens acra swiss type slider. I have the 17-55 mm f2.8 also AFS 300mm F/4 . The GND filter is singh Ray (Reverse) and some High Tech Hard edged GND filter. I am looking forward for the visit to Leh. Kindly give some suggestion and tips for the trip. Thanks a lot<br>

N.Thangavelu</p>