To sell copy right? Or not to sell copy right?

Discussion in 'Business of Photography' started by shaca, Oct 7, 2018.

1. I'm late to this party but - just as an amateur - I think @Spearhead hit the nail on the head. I think it's important that photographers decide what they (perhaps after post-processing) deliver to clients and what they don't. Even though I just do a couple of amateur shoots (best effort, no charge) each year, I would never turn over all my photos to my "clients". I deliver only the photos that I'm happy with and stand behind.

In the Netherlands, copyright essentially means "ownership". Initially (and by default) ownership lies with the photographer. Ownership can be transferred (by contractual agreement. For example in cases where:
    - the delivered photos have no long-term value to the photographer but may have for the client
    - a client organization is able to distribute/publish and leverage the value of photos and prefers to take "ownership" rather than negotiate each license

In summary, I would refuse to give your client access to all photos, I would discuss what the 'added value' would be (to you) if you were to transfer ownership (=copyright) to your client.

Mike