To post pricing or not... that is the question

<p>Hi,<br /> My business partner that I sleep with. OK OK... she's my wife and I had a debate. We were working out some family portraiture price revamp for this year. We started thinking should we disclose:<br /> - All the price packages (Package 1. blah blah blah, Package 2 blah blah blah)<br /> - or just put package starts at $xxx.</p>

<p>You can visit our website at <a href="http://veritas-images.com/investment.htm">www.veritas-images.com</a> for the current set up.<br /> Myself I prefer the Photoshoot starts at.... but my wife feels that if she was a consumer, she would rather see everything. What are your thoughts?<br /> thanks!</p>

<p>You need to have something that tells people if you're $500 photographer or a $5,000 photographer. However, having specific package prices is probably a bad idea as it will stop people from contacting you to have a discussion about what you can do for them.</p>

<p>The problem with your wife's philosophy is that it buys into the idea that photographers are interchangeable commodity services that should be evaluated based on price. But in reality the interaction and chemistry between client and photographer is critical to success. Price really needs to be about price ranges that fit within a budget, with the cost of not having a photographer whose personality and style match with the client being considered as well.</p>

<p>Works fine either way. My graphic design friend has a pricing menu, so clients can put together a price for a job and be 100% certain of what the total will be at the outset.</p>

<p>This approach also helps with overrruns on work - you can legitimately add on the extras that were clearly stated in the pricing menu, but which the client may not have included but then subsequently asked you for.</p>

<p>It also helps YOU to think about and accurately price your time and skills!</p>

<p>You can do the same as some restaurants by offering flexibility. For instance 'Sample package prices...[add details]' and add 'if you do not see what you want then please ask'. Just as in a restaurant, most people will autoamtically go for the predefined packages but you are also giving the more discerning clients an indication that you will meet their needs as well.</p>

<p>It doesn't matter what the product or service is, if I am looking for something on websites, I like to know how much it is going to cost me without making contact. Or at least, to have enough information there for me to make a fairly accurate estimate.</p>

<p>Thanks for your replies even though there is no conclusion. i guess each has their merits. I still don't know which way is better still. Maybe I'll just stay the course.<br>

However if I give a "Package starts at $xxx..." then it would enable them to contact us and we can discuss further. I like this idea. Unfortunately, I am bad at sales/marketing. My wifey is better. But she doesn't like to get technical.</p>

<p>OK on to the next question:<br>

What do you think of the prices? Is it in-line? Too cheap? Too expensive?<br>

Currently all my booked clients go with the Signature Package. However of late, there seems to be some hesitation with potential clients.</p>

<p>Alwin,<br>

First, I totally agree with David. If you don't make contact with the client either on the phone or in person, you have NO opportunity to sell yourself. When a prospect views your assorted images on your website and your complete pricing, they feel that they have all the information they need to make a decision and/or move on. How many actual calls or emails do you get vs. the number of hits on your site? This is probably a good way to measure.<br>

Another point, and I sincerely mean this to help you, is that you need someone to edit your text on the site. The English is incorrect in many places and this does not make a good first impression. Again, I only say this to be helpful.</p>

<p>Having now looked at your website, I would suggest putting<em> 'from' </em>before the $250 and $450 figures. It maintains those prices for the packages as they are presented but keeps your options open for extras.</p>

<p>I agree with Ted that some of the language is not quite correct.</p>

<p>To be honest, I think it's crucial to at least have a general idea of what you charge.</p>

<p>As a consumer, I am much less likely to contact a vendor, service person, restaurant, etc if I don't at least have an idea of what we are talking about in terms of price.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"You will receive up to 1 hour photography session"<br>

"or simply place on facebook albums"<br>

"Who'd knew by browsing"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Alwin,<br>

Here are 3 examples. The entire site needs to be reviewed. I hope this helps.</p>

<p>I might have missed it but I can't see which area of the country you are in. Actually, I don't even know which country you are in!</p>

<p>You have your prices in $ and you spell <em>optimized</em> the American way with a <em>z</em> but you spell <em>colou</em>r the proper English way with a <em>u</em>..... Canada?</p>

<p>^ I'm a confused Canuck.<br /> OK after much consideration, I am leaning towards....<em> 'from $xxx' </em><br>

This way as some pointed out, would enable potential clients to contact us. <em><br /></em></p>

<p>I found putting a starting point "Packages start at XXX dollars" works well for me. When the client contacts me I have a itemized price list in PDF form that I can give the clients when I meet with them or email it to them if they are out of town. <br>

When people are looking for a price they tend to skim over the text until they see the $. Writing out "dollars" encourages people to actually read what you wrote because the price doesn't pop out at them.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Alwin.... I would listen to David Wagle. He knows what he's talking about...trust me. But with that said, if you're not sure of the answer to your question, then you don't know your market well enough. That's not meant to be a put-down. No one here could know your market like you could, so you can't get a definitive answer here. You and your business/bed partner have a different idea of who your client is; that's why you have different answers to the same question. BTW: Your 'family moments' section has some sweet images in it.... but your commercial section is a mess. Lot's of bad links! Suggestion: You should compile the commercial work onto your own site instead of relying on links to others.</p>

<p>Alwin.... I would listen to David Wagle. He knows what he's talking about...trust me. But with that said, if you're not sure of the answer to your question, then you don't know your market well enough. That's not meant to be a put-down. No one here could know your market like you could, so you can't get a definitive answer here. You and your business/bed partner have a different idea of who your client is; that's why you have different answers to the same question. BTW: Your 'family moments' section has some sweet images in it.... but your commercial section is a mess. Lot's of bad links! Suggestion: You should compile the commercial work onto your own site instead of relying on links to others.</p>