To people who own the Nikon D300.....

franklin_t

<p>If you don't mind saying, what's your income?<br>

I've had my D40 for about 1.5 year now, and I am really, really, really, strongly considering to upgrade to the D300 (plus get the 18-200mm, 50mm 1.8, and 35mm 1.8).<br>

My salary is only about $50K/year, and I'm trying to justify the purchase. For the past 2 months, I've been saying to myself "to get or not to get the D300, to get or not to get the D300, to get or not to get the D300" =P.<br>

Thanks for reading! =)</p>

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I have over 100k on the D300 and to be honest my brothers D40 produces images that are just as amazing. The reason I need the D300 is it has the features I need for the work I do. I do real estate photography and the low light ability is a must along with the 320 flash sync. I'm sure by the end of the year when the replacement come out for the D300 the prices will drop a great deal. If there's no real reason to upgrade other than the lust for a new body... I'd wait. My income from photography is more than 50k and it's just a part time job... if the D40 had the same easy access conrtols as the D300, it would be my camera of choice. <br>

But that's my opinion... and the D300 has been the first camera that hasn't really left me wanting more.</p>

<p>Ryan</p>

<p>Wow, quite the question for a photography forum. Sorry, I'm not going there, but I will offer you a suggestion from someone who owned a D40x for one year and then upgraded to a D90 a month ago. Either buy a D300 used or refurbished, or buy a D90. That is without knowing anything about you which is much more important than income. What do you shoot? Do you need more resolution? Do you need better AF? Do you need durability? Is weight an issue for you? Do you have a good tripod and other items that should come before upgrading your body?</p>

<p>I can throw recommendations and opinions out there, but only knowing what you said I wouldn't put much stock in it...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My salary is only about $50K/year, and I'm trying to justify the purchase.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your question is one of a value judgement, not justification.<br>

How you arrive at a purchasing decision will not be the same as others.<br>

1) Can you afford it?<br>

2) Will it stress you financially?</p>

<p>Thise two questions have nothing to do with photography, moreso financial responsibility,</p>

<p>Pete</p>

<p>I am not going to post my earnings here of course but I think that would not help you anyway. </p>

<p>A very smart person once told me to remember that I am my own most important creditor. Pay yourself first. That means put money in savings for the future and use your money to be happy. </p>

<p>I would rather ask myself; What will the D300 do that your D40 is not doing for you? </p>

<p>The D300 is a super camera. I use it often in favor over the D3. It will give you a bunch of new capabilities but only if you are going to challenge it by using these capabilities. </p>

<p>You are talking about $2000.00 give or take. for a Nikon Demo with the 18-200 from Cameta and a 50mm 1.8. Start there. You will probably find that you don'it use the 35 mm 1.8 that much anyway. The camera comes with a one year warranty. </p>

<p>Question. What do you want the 50 and 35 mm lenses for? I know the 50 is one of the sharpest lenses that Nikon makes but how will you use it. If the anser is low light then you are there with the VR lens anyway. You would need some ther use for it and the 35. </p>

<p>This isn't about your annual income. If you want the smart answer then I would quote Suze Orman. "Frist people, then money, then things." If you and yours are all taken care of, if you have a comfortable nest egg (6 months emergency cash and a retirement plan) then buy whatever you want. If you are planning on loading up the visa and paying over time.....you can't afford it. But here is some comfort. If you made a quarter of a million a year and did not have the above you wouldn't be able to afford it either. </p>

<p>What's your reason for the upgrade? <br>

The D300 is capable of producing excellent results (so is the D40) and can take a lot of abuse (compare to the D40). But if you can't really justify the purchase, there's nothing wrong with holding off the purchase and continue to use your D40. </p>

<p>Why the D300? What sorts of photos do you want to take with it?</p>

<p>Honestly, if you don't make money with it, and it's questionable whether you can afford it, the answer is probably no. Camera bodies are expensive and aren't really long term investments (it's better to spend money on lenses than bodies, lenses last for several generations of bodies) and the difference between the D40 and D300 is in specific areas that may or may not be important to you. A lot of the time you won't see the difference between photos taken with a D300 and a D40 assuming both are being used by people who know what they're doing. </p>

<p>I don't own a D300, it's too expensive to be worthwhile to me. I do own a D90, but even that expense didn't make a heck of a lot of sense so to make it work in my mind I made some Ebay deals and sold some other items I wasn't using, and my D60, to pay for it. I have the 50/1.8 and the 35/1.8 and both are excellent value lenses. Those go along with a couple of consumer zooms and I'm not equipped to do professional shooting but it's more than enough for my realistically assessed needs. If there weren't a recession going on maybe I'd have a more liberal interpretation of "need".</p>

<p>I'm just an avid hobbyist, but I take a lot of photos and I do like collecting so I look for value. E.g., if I want to use full-frame I'm shooting manual focus Minolta film cameras and lenses I've accumulated by watching Ebay and picking up deals, so I've got 2 good bodies (and 2 serviceable but flawed ones), 3 excellent primes and 2 "pro" zooms and that represents about $160 in total - which is a lot easier to stomach than whatever the same setup with a D700 would cost.</p>

<p>My income? It's "enough." I have no loan payments of any kind (car, house, student, credit card) and live within my means. I do own a D300 but really my income isn't so much the biggest factor. I think you are going in the wrong direction here for your decision making. If you have credit card balances etc., pay those off now. Loans will make you poor and keep you poor. I only pay cash. If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. Now on to my photo advice for you. I look at camera gear as a SYSTEM. The camera is the least important item in the system, generally speaking. You didn't say what you like to photo, and that makes a HUGE difference in what you need. Judging from the lenses you mention, I take it you don't really need the few advantages the D300 offers over the D90. I would recommend you go cheaper on the camera (get the D90) and spend more on lenses, flash, and tripod. I can't be more specific since you weren't. What do you plan on photo'ing?<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>There's two reasons I felt I could afford a D300. I quit smoking after 45 years and those savings alone paid for the camera in less than a year. In addition, we paid off our house and all our vehicles last year. Boy does that feel good!</p>

<p>My turn...<br>

I currently own a D300.<br>

Previously owned a D200<br>

Previously owned a Coolpix 5000.<br>

Sold the D200 to get the D300...<br>

Major improvement.<br>

Still use the Coolpix as an electrical inspector for documentation and presentations.<br>

The photos from all 3 have been very satisfying.<br>

A good photo is a good photo.<br>

Yes, the creative and technical boundaries are nearly limitless with the D300, but I have shots from all 3 that are memorable, sharp, and above all keepers.</p>

<p>Franklin,</p>

<p>Your income has nothing to do with justification of a D300 purchase or anyother purchase for that matter. Your income will facilitate the purchase but it's level or amount has nothing to do with the price of fish........I earn about one third of your salary and own a D700 plus far too many lenses all debt free - I certainly don't use my income to justify that.</p>

<p>The only way you can justify the purchase of a new camera and many lenses is to stop worrying about your salary and go out and take photos which give you pleasure. </p>

<p>One difference between an amateur and a professional is that an amateur can buy equipment without justifying it. A pro with good business sense will only buy equipment if it seems likely that the investment will increase his earning power more than the cost. Or to put it another way, when he weighs the financial impact of purchasing the gear vs. putting the same money in a bank account, (or not taking out the loan he would need to take out to buy the gear), if it doesn't look like the purchase will return more money than the alternative, then the gear doesn't get bought.</p>

<p>Amateurs don't need to justify things that way. You weigh the costs against the other expenses in your life, and the pleasure you'll get from buying the gear vs. the pleasure you'd get from putting the money somewhere else. I wouldn't want to go into debt to fund a hobby, nor would I want to risk homelessness or fail to save for retirement. But on the other hand, money is for spending. You're the only one who can decide your priorities. There are plenty of people who will spend $2000 on a vacation, and a vacation will depreciate a lot faster than a digital camera (though the camera will depreciate pretty darn fast).</p>

<p>Franklin,</p>

<p>I think I understand were your coming from. I make a bit less than you do, so ..economically, we are similar. I think people find ways to afford what they REALLY need. I don't need a new camera. My F4 is clicking away just fine. I'm learning about slides and other film while using it. However, in my mind, I do not shoot enough, or well enough to be able to say that a D300 would solve any issues with film or development costs, or make my pictures better. THAT is why I have not justified it. If I really could look at a gallery of my shots and honestly say, " If I had a D300, those shots would be better. ", I would find a way to save up for it. Brown bag my lunch a few times a week. Maybe ride my bike to work at times. Not eat out as much. Tell people to just give me money on birthdays, Father's Day, and Christmas. If the price of the D300 was what I spent a month , eating in fine restaurants, and I drove a new Mercedes Benz every other year, it would be a different story. ( Which was the point Franklin was hinting at. )</p>

<p>Of course, that little devil on my shoulder keeps saying that if I HAD a nice digital camera, I WOULD take more picures, I would learn faster, and it WOULD improve things ! My "problem" is I have a nice little collection of MF lenses and I need a D200 or better to use them properly. That means the D90 and below would require more lenses and that pushes the price up to D300 land.</p>

<p>What has almost made me pull the trigger is that BestBuy D200 deal. For about $600 , that camera would easily fit my needs, but ... it's 4 year old stuff and some of the D300 features keep holding me back. If the D300 drops into the same range, in a year or 18 months, I may not stop myself. But for something like $1600, it's not money well spent , for the amount of shooting I do. That's why I can't justify the purchase.</p>

<p>Maybe deep down, you know you also have better things to spend you money on ?</p>

<p>Asking about income from strangers is a taboo in my country, so we won't go there ;-)<br>

For a pro, it's a matter of justifying it based on the current income and the business need for it. For an amateur, it's about priorities and how much you can and want to spend on hobbies. I've used my D300 for over a year, can't remember making a dime with it, but still feel it was a good purchase and I can afford it.</p>

<p>Depends on what your needs are. Income is not important, disposable income is. Want vs need is important. The D300 is a camera where if you buy, you'll never look back and have regrets. Buy a refurb from Cameta Auctions at around $1100 - $1200 range. The D40x id a fine camera, but in low light? Not so good vs D300.</p>

<p>Photography is not a question of justification. It is a passion for you and me. How much you spend on what you like personally is much more than the offordability. This is little amount you are going to spend for , say 3-4 years before you ask the same question again. But the satisfation that you are going to get is much more than $1200/- So it is not logical to ask such questions your self. Go and buy and enjoy the the shoooting with with your BRAND NEW D300 !!</p>

<p>I am not a pro but an avid photographer, I dont make whole lot of money, and I own a d300 you just have to ask yourself why I need to upgrade did I grow out of my current camera and it doesn't do what I want it to do. so it's not a matter of how much money you make it's just if you really need the product, you dont want to but $2000 and then let it sit in it's bag because you don't use it that often or you find out that it takes simillar photographs to your current camera.<br>

just my .02</p>

<p>I am kind of surprised that no one else has mentioned it already. I also own the D40 and my advise to you as you have already made mention that you are investing in glass as well, would be buy the glass.<br>

If there is one thing I am the most gald I did was buy better optics for my D40, huge improvemnt over kit and the cheap 55-200 that I got for $100. <br>

BUY THE GLASS, besides if it is still not what you want you havent made a bad desision as is all moves right on up anyways.</p>

<p>My 2 cents.<br>

I think that you should skip the idea of picking up the D300 and think more on lens.Pick up the 18-200 (a versatile lens but not the best for low light image quality) the 50 1.8 is pretty cheap but it will not autofocus on the 40. Nikon makes a 50mm AF lens but it is a bit more pricey. But it's a lot cheaper than a 300. Then again a lot of people manually focus their lens to make sure that they are focused where they want them to be.. What type of pictures do you take? If you like macro the 105 2.8 is supposed to be really nice. Plus there are a lot of primes that have special uses that will ALL carry over when and if you decide to upgrade. Don't just buy a lens to have it in your kit buy one that fits your interests: landscape, portraits, macro, wide angle, super telephoto the list is seemingly endless. If you take portraits maybe some sort of lighting set-up would be nice.<br>

How long have you owned your D40? How many pictures have you taken with it? I don't see any pictures posted in your profile. Is the D40 holding you back or do you just want to buy a new camera? Do you think that you know what every button, mode and feature does in the D40?<br>

Are you still using the auto mode? If so try to switch to one of the more advanced modes. Doing that you will have a NEW camera that will eventually take a lot better pictures when you get the hang of it. Practice in those features will help when and IF you decide to step up to the next level. You might take better pictures with the 40 in a more advanced mode that the D300 in auto. I wouldn't even think of upgrading until I was fairly efficient in the advanced modes.Take a class, join a club learn more about the camera that you all ready own.<br>

I am in the same dilemma I have owned the D40 for a couple of years I picked up the 18-200 and the 50 1.8 I also picked up some lights and am going to try some portraiture. Sticking with the D40.<br>

I like the tilt screen that they finally came out with on the D5000 but I also like the internal motor that it doesn't have. I imagine that the next generation of all Nikons will have the tilt screen.The extra megapixels would be nice for cropping.<br>

Right now I'm going to do just what I recommended to you. Once that I can operate the D40 blindfolded and know exactly how everything on the D40 works then MAYBE I'll step up. Of course maybe by then the 40 will breakdown or the D300 will be an antique and much more affordable.<br>

Chasing the latest and greatest is a rich mans game there will always be a better camera out there. </p>