To Our Hawaiian Members

I think we are all sincerely glad that the impact so far has been less than catastrophic in human terms.

On the other hand, I just cannot help but give it a sort of anthem

I'm sorry but can't help myself..o_O

• Like 1

JD, your gallows humor is showing ! Myself & Randall are on Oahu, the main island with Madam Pele doing her thing down south on the Big Island of Hawaii. My brother in Hilo reports foul air at times, but all the flows are in the south east corner and pose trouble only for those estates in the Puna area. Pele has been on a romp for years and will continue for many more. Aloha, Bill
  • Like 1

As you can see from my "likes," I too hope that the volcanic activity comes to a quick conclusion and that the residents of this beautiful state can get their lives back to a semblance of normalcy. (Along those lines, my best wishes also go out to citizens of Puerto Rico who still have no power. Sorry, Sanford, it wasn't my intent to hijack your thread.)
  • Like 1

I looked at a lot of those properties that are now covered with lava when I first moved to the Big Island back in 1992. The fact that the road that used to lead to them was covered with lava from the previous eruption and was still too hot to stand on for very long made an impression on me! Anyone buying into land that was lava zone 1 was taking a huge risk, but the prices were dirt cheap back then. It's unfortunate, but that's life on an island with two active volcanoes. Even before this happened, the air quality . had gotten so bad in Hilo that we left the island in 2002. You never knew when the vog was going to settle in and stay as long as the wind was low. The Pele thing is just mythology, but this current event was a known geological certainty. Everyone knew it could and probably would happen, but no one knew when.