To many adds

NOTHING on the web is "free". . .someone pays the bill's & passes the expense onto US with the ad's. You should have been around just over a year ago when "someone" purchased the site & wanted more return on their investment. . . pure chaos, which still continues, although at a lower level.

Like everything else computer driven, ignore the ad's & join the forum of your choice. Aloha, Bill

As I read this, there is an ad for photography classes and an ad for Nikon D850 displayed. At least the ads are photography related. Just think how bad it would be if the site were like watching TV, "stay tuned in for expert answers to your question, but first a few messages from our sponsors". ...(That new D850 on top of the page sure looks enticing.)

The wife and I went out for lunch on Sunday. By the time we left, the tab (with tip) came to $34. We had a fine time, and do this every several weeks. No advertising was foisted on us.

I needed some "fuzzy socks" to slouch around the house in, and several pairs of ankle cut black socks. Getting some foot issues that need pampering. Went to the store and spent just about $28 and my feet are quite happy! No additional advertising was hammered in my head.

I pay a few cents short of $30 every year for this adventure that is PN. Sometimes I have a good time--others I am ready to rip the remaining hair from my scalp. I don't see any advertising at all.

You get what you pay for. So long, and good luck. :cool:

• Like 3

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

Fred - I too have a premium membership and get ads. However, when I am using my iPad, as I am now doing to type this message, I have no problem with seeing text or activating links (I use only my desktop to post images). Perhaps our iPad or Safari, or different browser, preferences are different?

Glenn, thanks!. Even with the most up-to-date software on my iPad and iPhone, I consistently get this result when viewing the forum page. Note that the MEMBER BOX is missing, next to the forum box, the headline type that says Photo.net Photography Forums is cut off, and, when I click on any individual forum, the link that says "Post New Thread" is not there at all. Could be different generations of iPad. Mine is about 2 years old with up-to-date software.

Image-1.thumb.jpg.b99b9f33dcf248c7262bf8e5e69fdcca.jpg

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Paid membership does make it possible to enjoy this site without ads.

Not true for me, only when I view my own portfolio do I not see ads, when I view the forums, I see one ad at the top, one ad in the right column, I see one ad between the first post in the thread and the second posting in the thread and then I will see an ad at the bottom of the forum page. So I see four ads in the forums. They are photogra[hy related, usually Nikon Ads for the D850 which I would love to have, but I am a so invested in Canon EOS lenses, I could not take the hit buying all new Nikon glass. I never see Canon ads, nor Sony. So I guess I should say thank you Nikon for supporting PN, even though I too support PN. I think I should put my own commercial in my tag line. ;)

Cheers, Mark

Glenn, the screen shot you provided actually shows you’re not getting the member box either. On my laptop, the member box is next to the forum box, is the same full size as the forum box, and says MEMBERS. Your pic does not show that, though at least you have the forum link on the left. I’ve tried different preference settings and nothing helps. I don’t spend too much time running down these problems but instead learn to adapt to the various and ongoing PN software and design flaws.

Fred, on my mac, if I start reducing the width of the browser window by clicking and dragging on the right edge, at one point, the member box disappears. So, it seems, the issue is with the webpage unable to fit all it's contents to the shrinking browser width (on the iPad and iPhone, the window width is typically narrower than a 15" laptop). However, on my iPad (and iPhone), tapping on the blue bar to the right of the 'Forums' box displays the 'members' link.

927234860_ScreenShot2018-01-10at11_15_57PM.thumb.png.099f39150519512e28a57c6f21237a1a.png

Edited by Supriyo

ot true for me, only when I view my own portfolio do I not see ads,....

What I meant with my somewhat vague description: if you are a paid member, you won't see nag screens if you run an ad-blocker, while for some time you did. So it's true that by default you do see some ads, even as a paid member, it's at least possible to completely get rid of them. Non-paying members should see banners or pop-ups about de-activating the ad-blocker instead.

Fred - if I click on the little arrow off to the right of the screen on the same line as "Forums > " and just to the left of the "Post new thread box" on my iPad,

a "Quck Navigation Menu" pops up. This includes my profile. account, conversations, etc. You can see the little arrow in my first screen shot.

Glenn, thanks again. This is what I'm talking about. I don't get the same options you get, rendering my iPad use for PN much less optimal. As you can see below, there's nothing for me to click. I don't get the word "Forums," I don't get the "Post new thread box", and I don't get the little arrow next to it. The little gray arrow that's above the words "Casual Conversations" is simply an icon. It doesn't act as a link.

IMG_0029.thumb.jpg.35aef2960f272c8370c484f492d68ccb.jpg

Glenn, thanks. My policy with PN is to go to as little effort as possible myself to try to either correct or overcome their mistakes and bad programming. Often, the fixes I try don't work anyway. I'm not going to load a new browser in the hopes that it will solve something that should be solved by PN technicians. I'm resigned to using a flawed PN site to the best I am able without doing songs and dances to get a better result. I will bring these flaws to the attention of the site and it's up to them how seriously they want to take them and whether they want to allot what seemingly paltry resources they've got to which of the innumerable flaws. There are worse flaws than this I'd like to see them address first. This is minor compared to other stuff they still haven't been able to get right.