To be, or doo bee doo?

Here is my dilemma -- I just posted on one of the last, pre-digital cameras, one that was actually used as the mechanical basis for an early digital camera (that was the Nikon F90 [N90].

I posted it, as a law-abiding participant, under "modern film cameras" forum. It did use film after all and it was AF.

Back at the nadir of my sleep deprivation episode, however, I had posted a preliminary report on a couple of early Kodak digital cameras, and because the body in those cases was EOS based, I put one post under that forum. I made two serious mistakes - My sleep deprivation affected me more than I realized, and I prepared the essay, as it were, without doing it first in a text editor and spending some editorial time with it. I also did it from memory -- which is not that great an idea when you are sleep-deprived....

Anyhow, I'm not about to give a link to that disaster. I'd delete it if I could.

I at least think I'm better now, and I do want to finish up my little series on cameras from auto-aperture to auto-everything and digital too.

If we had a "collectible cameras" forum, it would be a natural, but the cameras I've now worked my way up to are among the earliest of all digital cameras and just don't go into a "FILM" category of any kind.

I think that the interest in such pioneering cameras does not lie in their being "Nikon, "Canon" or whatever. I don't think that the average poster in the EOS or Nikon forums gives a rat's ass about these cameras as examples of technological evolution, and at least some people never look outside the forums for their particular marque.

Shall I post under "Casual"? Or should I just go away and leave.

For better or worse, I don't feel too "casual' about these cameras. I have spent time and treasure on them and hope to produce something worth archiving.

Suggestions?

I'm not sure what the best home for your posts would be, but I hope you continue with your reports, which I have enjoyed and look forward to. I agree with you that these cameras are interesting as technical milestones and that a lot of the features that we take for granted on current DSLRs came from somewhere.
  • Like 1

A quandary, JDM. I'd really like to enjoy your continuing series, but I'd agree that there really isn't an obvious place for them on Photo.net. We really do need a "collectible/historical" kind of forum where we can range over a wide range of topics involving diverse items such as early digital cameras, exposure meters and accessories, even old lenses, though we get away with posting these on this forum in an apologetic sort of manner. Brands have no bearing on the subject. We were heading in this direction in 2013:

Did any film camera show glimpses into the digital era?

A Bridge to Nowhere

A sensible expansion of the parameters governing this CMC forum could well be an option.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is nice to get a nibble of cheese once in a while.

It will be likely be a while before I actually get to the corrected posts on the Kodak digitals, so it's not an immediate problem.

I will ponder and scheme....

A sensible expansion of the parameters governing this CMC forum could well be an option

was of course what I want to hear. ;)