To all those pontificators who said it's a hoax...

peter_white2

Provided that the shot is legit, and I'll admit it looks like it is, I'm actually more interested in the lens. That looks like it would be the more-or-less perfect affordable walk-around lens for film/full-frame bodies. Actually, that damn well better be real or I'm gonna be pissed.

<i> Mine shows "error 99" on the 5D, but not the 20D. So my question is should I get the Tamron or the Sigma? </i> <br><br>

The Tonika. But you need to hack the rear element off first to make it fit. Then remove the insect from under the LCD display, making sure you have hacked the firmware first to reveal the hidden feature - "a camera"

<I>The lens will likely be $1000 USD. Not a very good sign if that is what we are calling affordable these days.</I><P>

No one in the industry has ever made a zoom lens with that high a zoom ratio (4.375 : 1) that wasn't a piece of crap. Also f/4 is nothing to write home about, ESPECIALLY with that high a zoom ratio because it probably means you'd have to stop down to AT LEAST f/5.6, if not f/8, to get decent performance.<P>

The IS might help with the stabilization problems at the long exposures such f-stops would require, but it can't help with DOF. Also, a max aperture of f/4 guarantees a dark VF.<P>

Granted, $1000 would be a very attractive price for a GOOD lens, but I can't imagine this lens would be worth anywhere near it.

Personally I would love to get the 24-105mm F4L IS lens if it is for real and is real L quality too. Let's hope it's real and they don't price it sky high. The "IS" would be nice in a lens of that range that is L quality as I was not happy with the 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS lens that I had for a short time. Keep your fingers crossed. :o)

DK.