TMAX films discontinued in 120

25asa

I will call to confirm this tomorrow, but I got info from a big lab in

Vancouver BC that TMAX 120 films (both 100 and 400) have been discontinued. I

assume this happened in October last year when they also killed the UC films in

120. I'll get back on this. This does not effect 35mm as far as I know.

Dont trust the website. It often is not updated with new info on changes. As per the TMAX films, I'll confirm whether this info is true or not tomorrow. My original source is a lab and not a store chain or Kodak.

Well Im hardly a kid at 37, but yes Kodak should have been more forthcoming with this info. Im also aware the UC films have been killed off. I just cringe at what other films are gone we yet are not aware of.

I've heard a number of reports like this when a lab or shop decides to stop carrying a certain film - they tell their customers that it has been discontinued as a reason to either get them to buy what they will stock, or just because the person at the counter misunderstood or was misinformed. I would counsel patience here until someone at Kodak can confirm the report.

- Randy

1st Scott, why don't you call first, before posting such statement?

2nd Killed UC 100 & 400 in 120 last October? Why does the Kodak website http://www.kodak.com/ still list the film as available in 5PK's?

see http://kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/ultraColor/sizes.jhtml?id=0.2.24.14.7.16.8&lc=en

3rd Scott, do you really think that Kodak will discontinue a film such as TMX, TMY, PX or TX without telling people first that they'd do so? For instance, how many months notice did we have that Kodak was getting out of traditional B&W paper? Someone please remind me, was it about 6 months to a year?

Stephen- I jumped the gun when I posted this. I was in the process of calling Kodak at the time and their call center just closed.

Secondly its been confirmed that 100UC and 400UC was discontinued last October in 120 rolls. Kodak confirmed this when called, but they never posted a release on this. These films are now out of stock in the warehouse and many stores have been out of stock for a while now. Yet no announcement by Kodak. I read Kodak laid off their web person in charge of posting these announcements.

Third- read second. Kodak still lists the films they killed late last year, yet they also confirmed they were killed off when asked. I can only guess what other products are no longer available that we do not know about.

I have only started to enjoy using 120 film in SLR cameras in the last few years. Whether you are talking about slide film or 220 film or 120 film, anything used heavily by professionals is going first. These are the people who switched to digital equipment earliest. There must be very few amateurs shooting roll film and even fewer shooting b&w roll film. I am not optimistic about Kodak's future in film or anything else. I will enjoy using medium format equipment for as long as I can. 35mm stock should be around a while longer because so many people still have the equipment for it. Not long from now I expect to be shooting most color stuff with a digital camera and most b&w stuff on film. This will work as long as my supply of b&w film holds out and as long as paper is still made.

Looks like, you're correct on the UC in 120. Adorama and BHphoto doesn't list the film on their website.

I have found it listed at my local lab http://www.glazerscamera.com/ They still list the UC100 & UC400 in 120 as available in the Pro 5PK.

Naughty Kodak. If true, we count on you for telling us what's available and soon to be unavailable, so that we, the buying public can plan accordingly.

Sorry about the UC Scott, but please, if the TMX & TMY holds to be ture or not true, please hold off until the facts are in. With today's climate, gossip, scandals and falsehoods spread faster than the truth.

Stephen

PS: When available, provide an official company link that states the fact.

Thanks Stephen-

I'll refrain from advanced postings before I can confirm by calling Kodak to get info. I seemed to have pissed off a couple of people on APUG with this same posting. I wont do that again.

Yeah, but thanks to Scott, I was able to put in a call to my Kodak dealer and hopefull score

some of the remaining rolls of UC still upstream. It does help to sound the alarm, even tho' it

may seem like rumors, to those of us who use it on a professional basis and need to obtain

as much of the film as possible, as soon as possible. I don't use a lot of Tmax, but Tmax 100

is one that I've recently found a few good looks in 35mm and I would need to stock up on it

in 120, so the heads up now makes the difference. Thanks Scott.

Ok. Before I make an ass out of myself any further, I'll call Kodak to get info. Maybe they'll be nice enough to tell me about other films too. The UC one made sense since the Portra films are similar in look. If TMAX is gone I would suspect because Tri-X sells better. Now this phone call seems more important then before.

Well I got the info from Kodak. Looks like the lab was mistaken (and me for listenning). TMAX was discontinued only in 220 and the catalog numbers were changed for the 120 rolls. Sorry about this guys. I wont report news again till I confirm with Kodak.