TMax 400 in Microphen?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by giverin, Aug 30, 2012.

1. I've just come back from a trip and I've got about 5 rolls of TMax 400 shot at box speed and 4 rolls of Neopan 1600 shot at 3200. Now I've bought some Microphen for the Neopan push but I usually use my standard D-76 for TMax 400. I was just wondering how the TMax 400 shot at 400 would look if I used Microphen rather than the D-76? Thanks in advance.

2. Well I believe that is the Ilford version of Xtol. I use Xtol and I have to say Tmax at box looks great in Xtol...

3. You will get slightly more grain with Microphen but slightly higher speed and a little more sharpness. I am assuming that both developers will be used undiluted.

4. I'd use Microphen for TMY pushed harder than 800. The negligible increase in grain is worthwhile for the overall better results, compared with D-76/ID-11. But you probably won't see any significant differences until the TMY is at least two stops underexposed (1600). The difference becomes more apparent above 1600, especially when using Microphen stock solution.

5. I can't tell much at 1600 with Xtol with TMY-2 other than it gives it normal contrast as at 400 and 800 that *X&$#**X&$#**X&$#**X&$#* is flat... :)

6. Thanks guys. As it was shot at box speed, it looks like there is little to be gained from using Microphen in this case. As I said before I usually use D-76 for TMY and it always looks great IMO. I do have a bottle of TMax developer in my darkroom but I've never used it with TMY, mainly because opinion seems to be divided on the combination both here and on other forums.

7. Paulo, I will not forgive your "poor English" .. because it is not poor, but good!
    Besides, you communicate very well and offer helpful advice, which is most welcome.
    Thank you, .. Kevin :)

8. Great photos, Paulo. I like your style!
    BTW I never used Microphen with TMax, but with HP5 and I I always got very good results. When I think about it, I wonder why I stopped useing it. Probably because I was infected by the "try-every-film-dev-combination-to-find-the best". Glad I'm cured now.