TLR Shutter Control

brandondickson

Hi guys

I just bought a Mamiya C3 on E-Bay and I'm excited to take it around my home state of Utah to take some landscape photos. It was based on a bunch of amazingly detailed and fun input that I read on here that set me on the TLR path. (my wallet may curse you later :)) I've always loved the feel of the photos taken with these cameras, so now I get to give it a try. It was pretty affordable, I bought the body from some shop in Japan for $75 and a 65MM lens for $65. I'm not sure if I got the best lens for the landscapes I like to shoot, but the price seemed too good to pass up.

I'm going next month to Capitol Reef National Park and since there is so little light pollution there I wanted to fool around with some star/milky way shots. I've had great luck with a DSLR there, but wanted to try something new.

Does anyone know the best way to control the shutter speed beyond the 1sec that comes standard? A way to hold it open?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Edited by brandondickson

The C33 should have a cable release thread high above the shutter release knob. (It is missing on my copy.) No clue about the C3 but I guess it can't be much more primitive?

You can get smooth and sturdy cable releases for really little money via the usual online trade platforms from China. They are locking; you have to loosen a screw where the metal rod goes in. Press the release and it will lock press that screw to close your shutter. (link to search, yes I'd probably take the cheapest if I hadn't already stocked up with those.)

I'd bring an MP3 player or radio, to guess my exposure times, entertain myself and avoid light pollution. I heard rumors about people using watches kitchen timers or smart phone (app)s substituting those. - Use whatever floats your boat and appears suitable for the job.

As said-shutter on the B setting, and a locking cable release are the way it's been done forever. Locks come in two common styles-the more available ones have a small set screw, while some older ones have a collar. I prefer the latter, but don't know if anyone still makes that style.

Pull the data sheet for the film stock you will be using and check the reciprocity chart on it. Many films need an extra stop or more of exposure when exposure times start running into several seconds long, and this can be significant as a 5 minute exposure(for example) might actually need to be 10 minutes to properly expose the film.

• Like 1

If you don't mind an electronic copy, it's worth checking Mike Butkus's site.

Mamiya C3 instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manuals, camera manual

He doesn't charge per se, but does ask for a contribution of a couple of dollars if you find it useful. I use his site frequently, and even though I don't donate every time I pull a manual I try to make a point of sending some money his way once a year or so(this post actually prompted me to send him $30 for the number of times I've personally used his site).