Tips on Blending In

teneson

<p>How do you become inconspicuous? Here are some of mine:<br>

You figure out tricks like you're out testing a new camera...I saw a _tube video of Gary Winogrand doing this, looking really goofy enough that people don't take him seriously. I would sometimes have the camera in front of me at arms length as if scanning the whole place. A paparazzi friend would often accompany me and yell (to my dismay) “could you please pose for my friend there?” But it all turns out to be fun for all, even to the unwitting subjects. I don’t really like to pose people, but sometimes it works. <br>

I’ve shed the camera vest (which would i.d. you from a mile away) and only have one camera at a time around my neck. It helps to have a “nice-looking camera that people can admire. I’ve found out that brushed chrome or similar finishes is less intimidating than black lacquer, and that people seem to be delighted to be photographed with my Contax G2. They think it's neat, but where is the LCD screen? Heh-heh! <br>

I smile a lot. Why frown? I like what I’m doing, anyway (immensely, in fact) and people can pick up on that as a positive vibe.<br>

And referring back to my paparazzi friend, he recommends that you chew gum. Reason being, is that it makes one look confident and relaxed (and at the worst, cocky). </p>

<p>Dress up as <a href="http://www.ablenet.org/entertainment/1/japanese_vending_machine_camouflage" target="blank">a vending machine?</a></p>

<p>But seriously, if it was me, I would favour <a href="http://www.kpraslowicz.com/2009/10/15/twin-lens-reflex-tlr-street-shooting/" target="blank">this approach.</a><br>

Alternatively, making use of an adjustable LCD screen on one of the current crop of digital cameras, perhaps.</p>

I'm no good at the cloak and dagger stuff. I normally walk up to people, camera in hand, and tell them

what I'm doing. I feel this allows me to stop worrying about blending in or being inconspicuous and just act normal which then puts people at ease. Here are some outtakes from a recent assignment that involved photographing a lot of

strangers all of whom knew what I was doing:

http://www.photo-mark.com/notes/2010/jul/23/anchorage-g-street-outtakes/

Personally I wouldn't model myself after paparazzi. How often do see an even moderately interesting

photo from them or one that without the power of celebrity would have any value whatsoever?

The way to blend in and be inconspicuous is to not be sneaky when shooting. Hip shots and other tactics raise suspicion and create problems. People are far more aware than you might imagine. Just bring the camera to your eye and take the shot.

The size or color of your camera makes no difference. Project that you belong in the area and people will assume that you do and will pay no

attention. I shoot out in the open in plain view with no issues...

www.citysnaps.net

<p>For me, the camera never comes out; it's always out. Something changes when it comes out of the bag. People notice it, even from the corner of their eyes. Peter, thanks for mentioning the tlr approach; hadn't thought of that :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you belong on the street, nobody will notice.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wear a fluorescent yellow jacket and possibly a hard hat. Make it look like you are their in some official capacity (perhaps with a bright yellow surveyor's type tripod) and everyone will ignore you.</p>

<p>im lucky enough that i can travel a lot. Its the same thing in all the place i have gone; if you look strange or act strangely you will get people attention.. not in a good way.</p>

<p>If you act like you know what you are doing, that you feel and make people feel comfortable around you.. that you are there like they are, no other reason people wont get mad or rude with you and wont give you *the eyes* ; )</p>

<p>I mostly travel with my G9 and a small version of a 5D.. meaning not with the battery grip attach and no 500mm lens.. a small 24-70 sigma lens that look like almost a 50mm.. small and powerfull enoughn for any situation.</p>

<p>In some area i only use the G9 (alone in the dark or in place where a camera will be like wearing a pink neon sign over my head.) and the small 5D version most of the time.</p>

<p>I have walk with Brad in San Francisco, whe make a lot of images, nobody seems to care.. its a matter of attitude and what you are projecting.</p>

<div>00X5dj-269801584.jpg.c3634b37ecd64be28b3f1e4d521906f2.jpg</div>

<p>I use a Canon G11 for discreet shooting. I have a wrist strap on it and it stays out all the time - the articulated LCD makes it easy to hold it near my body at waist level. So I never put it up to my eye, and since it's wrapped around my hand basically all I have to do is look at the LCD, point the lens at what I want, and shoot. Hardly anyone ever notices.</p>