tip for changing your camera strap for quick vertical shots

conraderb

hi folks - for those of you who use a battery grip on your camera with a portrait shutter release,

<strong>I found out today that changing the camera strap can make it a lot easier to get quick portrait/

vertical shots.</strong>

<BR><BR>

I find that when I shoot with a camera that has a regular camera strap setup (the strap is on the top right

and top left corner of the camera), that the strap frequently lands right on top of the viewfinder when I

pick it up to take a shot in the portrait/vertical mode. as a result, I would need to push the strap away

from my eye, and I would sometimes miss a good moment.

<BR><BR>

I had the insight today that <STRONG>if you have the ability to attach the camera strap to the BOTTOM of

the camera</strong> instead of the top (ie. if you have a battery grip for the canon XXXD, XXD and 5D

cameras - I don't know about nikon), <strong>it is a lot easier to pick up the camera without having the

strap land right where you put your eye</strong>.<BR><BR>I'm kicking myself for not thinking about

this earlier - it probably seems elementary to everyone else!<BR><BR>another benefit is that for

landscape/horizontal shots, the strap is not in the way of the right side dials and buttons.

<BR><BR>

so, if you have been fighting with your straps when taking vertical shots, you might want to give this a try.

all you need is a way to attach your strap to the bottom of your camera. If you don't have have an

attachment point for your camera on the bottom, you can buy a small plate <a href="http://

www.camdapter.com/">here at Camdapter.com</a>.

<BR><BR>if none of this makes sense, see the images below.<div>00ITrM-33033484.jpg.7d08a0f94d69bfa490acfd63617af648.jpg</div>

this is the way my other 20D has the strap - and as soon as I get a battery grip, I'm going to

do it the other way also. the strap intefered with horizontal shots by getting in the way of the

buttons and in vertical shots by landing right over the viewfinder.<div>00ITrv-33033684.jpg.9838851484c032cf323ff06a813c89fd.jpg</div>

ben - yes, this strap setup will make the camear point down instead of pointing straight ahead.

however, most of my lenses are on the medium to heavy end, and since the bodies usually have a flash attached, the cameras would usually hang downward anyway. so - it doens't change much - the camera will still usually hang with either the bottom or the left side of the camera flush with my stomach or my right hip (this camera is always on my right side).