Tiny switch on Ihagee Exakta SLR camera

I finished a roll of 36 exp film in my Ihagee Exakta camera, rewound the film (pushing down a plunger), take out the film

close the back cover.

This morning, I take out the camera to excercise the shutter. The shutter did not work. The film winding mechanism

did not actuate the shutter. I thought, this camera may be dead, I should throw it away.

HOever, after a closer look, I discover a very tiny switch by the side of the plunger. Push the switch to other side

the camera shutter comes back to live again.

I've never noticed a switch near the plunger. Often there are inter-related links that sometimes cause such problems.. so it's a mystery and a challenge to find and resolve them Next time I use my Exakta... I will look for this... I've noted my Exa often won't fire... usually when I have film and I have twice unloaded the camera in the bag to salvage the roll because the shutter quit, but a similar interlock in the form of a lever left of the

viewfinder is the culprit and I can't ever seem to remember if red is go or stop!! Cover the red and it fires.....Go figure!!

Yes, it is quite normal, I think. Most Exakta (and Exa's) have shutter locks. Probably because it is quite easy to make an unintentional picture while putting the camera away. Older Exakta's refused to work when the viewfinder was closed. At least with the newer ones you can see that the shutter button is locked. Not all Exa's have this lock at the back, some have the same lock newer Exakta's have. But isn't this part of the fun? Finding out things about old and totally outdated camera's. I personally love Exakta's, even though I prefer a somewhat more modern camera to take pictures with.