Time to shoot some birds, Post yours

jgredline

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever come across a bigger bunch of bird lovers as I have with my fellow Pentaxians. Personally, I try to avoid those flu-infested flying rodents, but I did happen to shoot this white pelican in St. James's Park in London a few days ago. That's the furthest extent of my bird shooting, folks.<div>00RUsk-88633984.jpg.cce63b1894fbcc1ae60ad2d34cf49968.jpg</div>

Thanks Dave,

Actually, this was taken with a Sigma 100-300mm f4 APO EX DG on a K10D !

I am having some issues using this same lens with the K20D ... in spite of several attempted adjustements within the Custom Menu No. 35 (AF adjustments) , I find the sharpness not being as good with the K20D compared with the K10D!

Mind you, these above were in very bright lighting conditions and all my other "tests" with the K20D/Sigma lens.

Perhaps someone can help here:

Is using the following: full 300mm focal length, high ISO (400-800) and wide opened diaph (f4 to f4.5) with a monopod only (no tripod used during the tests), am I heading toward disaster? I.e.: will that REALLY affect the sharpness and possibly difficulty to obtain "bang-on" AF focus?

Hope this will bring some answers which would indeed be very much appreciated.

JP

Jacques: a lot depends on the distance to the bird, your technique + your camera's AF accuracy. That aperture is

not a large DOF, especially if you're at the longer end in terms of focal length.

<BR>

<BR>

<i>With really long lenses, skill and technique will be the final factor in determining a sharp image, assuming the

lens is a top performer.</i>