Tiffen Bay 60 to threaded filter step up ring, I'l having a heck of a time...

dave b

Hassablad experts please respond, I purchased my first Hassy, and

since I already own all the filters I need (in 67mm) I bought a

Tiffen Bay 60 to 67mm step up, but for the life of me, can't seem to

be able to mount the dang-gum thing on the lens. HELP!

You probably have a "C" lens, which requires a Bay 50 attachment. Hasselblad has a Bay 50 to Bay 60 step-up ring. I'm using that with the Bay 60 to 67mm (threaded) adapter like you already have. In any case, the BAY xx adapters are stiff. I put a little silicone/PTFE grease on the adapter, which seems to help. I wiped off the visible grease, but enough remains to do the job.

Dave,

I ordered a Tiffen SU ring from B&H so I could use all my 67mm filters with my Bay 60 CF lenses. The first one mounted so poorly that it nearly took off all the black finish from the mounting surfaces on one lens; it really was very badly machined. I returned it and got a second Tiffen SU ring...same problem, even worse...sent it back and got a different brand. It was more expensive than the Tiffen, but it worked fine. I'm not knocking Tiffen filters, every other Tiffen product I've bought was of very good quality. But these particular Tiffen Bay 60/67 SU rings were total junk. Try another brand.

Good luck, Sergio.

Dave, To answer your question:

I bit the bullet and got a Hasselblad B60/67 SU ring. Fits like every other Hasselblad accessory...absolutely perfectly. It also costs $60 new.

I got a used one from Gil Ghitelman for about half that. I believe that B+W, Heliopan and others make these, but after my experience I decided to avoid problems. You might try another brand, but I cannot comment since I have no firsthand experience.

BTW, I know you did not ask, but Lee Filters has an excellent system for Hasselblad, and any other camera system you might have, in any format. I already had a bunch of Lee filters (several graduated ND filters, as well as B&W and CC filters) and their excellent hoods for use with all my other equipment. Lee sells a Hasselblad Bay 60 adapter ring for use with all their stuff, and it works perfectly. And the Lee square hood is the best shade I've ever used with Hasselblad lenses of all focal lengths, including my SWC. It's not cheap stuff, but neither are the Hasselblad filters/compendium hoods/adapte rings, etc.