TIFF to Raw

erixphoto

<p>No, you cannot go from a format back to RAW. The camera applied the white balance, and picture style settings as you had in the camera to the files, and "fixed" them. No way to undo that.</p>

<p>But TIFF is not a lossy format, so you should not have lost too much. In Photoshop you can freely edit them, all the major things you do in RAW editing can be done in photoshop without the need for a plugin.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the D700. Are those 16-bit TIFFs or 8-bit?</p>

<p>If they are 16-bit TIFFs, you can do almost the same amount of "editing" as you could have to the raw files themselves. Raw files pretty much ARE tiff files in disguise, with a few more doodads added to them by the manufacturers. Editing them is no different than any other, except that you need an editor that works in 16 bits per channel to take advantage of them.</p>

<p>If they are 8-bit TIFFs, then it doesn't matter if TIFF is a non-lossy format or not, they are still 8-bits per channel, the same as a JPEG would have been, and they aren't much different than a fine JPEG in terms of what has been baked into them and in potential for editing.</p>

<p>In either case, there would be no point in converting them back to raw files even if that were possible.</p>

<p>As previous posters wrote, you cannot go back to Raw from TIFF.</p>

<p>I would think that those files are 8 bit per channel, at least in the D300 they are that way.</p>

<p>Regarding some previous comments:</p>

<p>If you use Photoshop, there is no need to convert to PSD, you can do everything in Tiff. So my suggestion is to leave them as Tiffs if you are going to edit them in PS.</p>

<p>Even if you can save them as .NEF files in Capture NX, they would really be just Tiff files in a NEF container. When you open them in Capture NX, it would be the same as opening a Tiff file. If you open them using Photoshop, they will open directly in ACR, but in the same way as if you chose to open a Tiff file in ACR, so there is no practical advantage in doing that.</p>

<p>There is a fundamental difference between RAW and TIFF, independently of the bit depth. RAW files are linear, not color space encoded and white balance has not been applied. This allows better control over exposure, white balance, color space and highlight recovery.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Raw files pretty much ARE tiff files in disguise, with a few more doodads added to them by the manufacturers. Editing them is no different than any other, except that you need an editor that works in 16 bits per channel to take advantage of them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is bad information. TIFF files are completely different than RAW. Editing is very different also.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Why have i just brought a monster NEW Nikon d7000 camera and a new lens if i cant even open the RAW images in cs3 photoshop?</p>

<p>What a con!</p>

<p>Who is to blame? Is it Nikon for not allowing the censor to work with photoshop cs3?<br>

Or is a ploy from photoshop to make people buy the new cs5?</p>

<p>I brought the new Nikon camera to make quality images and then either share them or print from them.</p>

<p>I NEED the raw/ nef files to open</p>

<p>I don’t want tiff I don’t want jpeg!</p>

<p>I haven’t wasted £2000 so i can only open tiff/ jpeg low quality images</p>

<p>TIFF is not the same as raw</p>

<p>RAW IS PURE. Raw has all the information in the highlights and shadows that i am exposing for</p>

<p>TIFF is a waste of time</p>

<p>Nikon and photoshop are a bunch of criminals!</p>