Three rows down

Julie H

Is this the current Picture of the Week? It's three rows down from the top in the PoW main page, but it's the only one I haven't seen before.

If it is, it's yet another entry in the PoW library of "how to objectify women in a picture." Thank you. As if we didn't already have enough of that on this site ...

• Like 1

Julie,

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I consider myself broad-minded, but I also consider there is excessive use of images of women which focus solely on, for want of a better term, 'physical attributes'. Many of them are, technically, good photos (probably better than most of mine), but the subject matter could have been more judiciously chosen.

That said, I would like to know what about the individuals in the photo you have selected makes you think they are female - or even human ? To me, they are completely anonymous shapes, bearing a vague resemblance to the human form, but beneath the covering they could be, for example, sacks of vegetables.

"There are some people who see a great deal and some who see very little in the same things." - Thomas Huxley

"Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you're doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you." - Joel Osteen

Or if rational thought doesn't do it for you, just listen to the lyrics from redneck Toby Keith's song "All About Me".

And why is this tripe on "Photo.Net Site Help"? The site structure needs help and discussion, not the images.

I think Julie’s concerns should be given weight by the entity passed off as "the elves."

"Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you're doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you." - Joel Osteen

On the other hand, one can choose not to stand idly by when certain offenses are taking place and instead try to effect change in the world or at least a small part of it.

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

They're not protesting. They're placidly obedient.

What's to say that isn't a protest? Protests frequently show something that mocks reality.

Also, the photographer's portfolio shows no interest in photos of women that would be considered demeaning. Your complaint appears misplaced, especially if you haven't asked the photographer about the photo.

The nicest interpretation is to say that the photographer didn't intend to be offensive. He was playing with a quickie flip and paste background, repeatedly flip and pasting the side figures and dropping the central figure ... in the center, because it looked snappy there. We shouldn't complain because it's offensive. He didn't mean it.