Three cheers for professionals! PART II

<p>I'm in constant need of press photos, and short of money: you guessed it, I'm a musician (http://web.mac.com/stahlchristian/Videos/Barsanti.html). <br>

I posted a question in July 2008 in the <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/?category=Nikon+Lenses+and+Optics">Nikon Lenses and Optics</a>-Forum, concerning portraits. Hoped for an answer as "get this lens, and you're set".<br>

In variations I got three answers: light - composition - practice.<br>

As part of a new marketing strategy, I want to communicate an image, using picture, among other things.<br>

So I've started to experiment with portraits, as shown here: http://gallery.me.com/stahlchristian#100203&view=mosaic&sel=0 (please note that these pictures are not yet processed, they ought to be lighter after that).<br>

There are light issues. <br>

What would you recommend? I thought about a helper with an emergency blanket stretched over a hula hoop, reflecting the sun so the other part of the face is lit. <br>

And composition... I don't have a <em>photo</em> studio. So I used nature as a background. There are also some historical buildings near (see http://gallery.me.com/stahlchristian#100228&view=grid&sel=0).<br>

Please tell me if I should rather use the <a href="http://www.photo.net/beginner-photography-questions-forum/">Beginner Photography Questions</a>-forum. Glad 'bout any advice, Chris</p>

<p>The question is: how are the images to be used?<br>

Brochure, CD cover, flier, poster - internet or what. The need dictates the design.<br>

You need intimacy with your viewer and as most press release -web images are small a close-up with partial instrument would seem appropriate.<br>

I would definitely incorporate some of the locations - just interesting pieces of architectural details only as mood creators, preferably out of focus backgrounds to add elegance.<br>

Shoot in the shade, and use a piece of foam core covered with crumpled tin foil (flattened) to accent the lighting.<br>

Your best bet would be a trip to the book store to locate one of the dozens of portrait how-to's that will explain the techniques you need to use. Review them and find the one that exemplifies the look you're after.<br>

Your image is everything, treat it with care and be very discriminant.</p>

<p>You can get 5 in 1 reflectors that are about the size of a hula for for something like $30. They work great and you can do quite a bit with just one. </p>

<p>I'm in Dresden from time to time, if you want to meet up for some pics let me know.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The question is: how are the images to be used?<br />Brochure, CD cover, flier, poster - internet </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Gary, my answer is: yes. Yes, brochure AND CD cover AND flier AND poster AND internet. 'tis true, I usually have one or the other in mind when I take the picture - but when it turns out well, I end up using it for all of the above. (I admit, a vinyl record cover is something special...) <br>

Do you make a CD Cover different from a press portrait? How?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Your best bet would be a trip to the book store to locate one of the dozens of portrait how-to's</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good idea (I remember, I used to love the photo section in book stores when I lived in New Haven, CT, in '89. Always envied you guys for your bookshops, haven't seen anything comparable in Germany, esp. when it comes to photography. Anyways, I'll have a look...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can get 5 in 1 reflectors</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Good one, thanks!</p>

<p>"Do you make a CD Cover different from a press portrait? How?"</p>

<p>Every <em>effective</em> photo is designed for the media that it occupies. We can shoot with different formats in mind, which helps, but emotional and physical issues become important.</p>

<p>Just look at the average PR release and you'll see a small image - tight close-up and little else. Sufficient for the purpose. Not a motivator (usually) more of an informational piece.</p>

<p>Covers, brochures, web images can and should be more compelling - create curiosity, motivate to purchase or buy tickets. Your shots are nice "snapshots" but fail in this regard (not being critical).</p>

<p>Take a trip to the music store - look at the competition - look at the use of format and shape, then previsualize your product, poster or web image. Notice how close-ups are used a great deal - long shots are great for groups and established recognizable performers.</p>

<p>The classical nature of your music should also be emphasized and your movement and body language during a performance could also add visual appeal.<br>

I hope this helps a little.<br>

g</p>

<p> </p>