Threatened with Legal Action

I am looking for some help.

I am being threatened with legal action for a booking that has never been finalised by a couple who will not let things drop and I am looking for advice on what I can tell them to possibly get them off my back as they are practically hounding me and its very stressful.

To explain - I had a couple email me looking for info for a double side wedding - Miami and Scotland. We were chatting about prices and trying to understand what is required - what would the flights be as I had work to get back to Scotland to conduct, when problem struck with huge personality clashes - being told I was a disgusting person and I was not professional in anything! I stated I would not take this booking any further and bride should be happy with someone else doing the work. I happily step aside.

Bear in mind we were emailing about the work and requirements - at no point did I say your date is booked and we are set to go!

They are now threatening me with legal action and demand that I tell them who my lawyers are so they can sue me.

As I see it, there is no confirmation, there is no 'booking is final' text, there is no deposit paid. It was basically negotiating the terms of the work and requirements which I then decided was best not to take any further.

They will not leave me alone - what can I do?

These guys are getting married? Really?

Okay, I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like they have no basis for a legal action: No money paid, no contract signed or promises made, etc. I'd be willing to bet that they don't have a lawyer at this point. However, you should contact an attorney for advice, just for CYA. If the situation worsens, you might even have a cause for legal action against them for harassment.

Good luck...

Assuming you are in the US, they don't need a lawyer's name to file a lawsuit, so that's a bogus request. They can file a complaint with a court. It's doubtful they have a lawyer as the lawyer would know this. Also, if there is no signed document, then there is no basis for legal action.

I suspect this is a scam and they are trying to extract some money from you. You haven't met the people, the course of events you present sounds very suspicious. I'd recommend that you stop communicating completely and they will probably go away. If they file against you, get a lawyer but I suspect they will go away if you just ignore them. Save all the emails in case something else comes up.

• Like 1

Assuming that you are in Scotland, I doubt that they need your solicitor's name to sue you, either: but knowing exactly where you reside would assist more specific responses as the world is a big place and the law varies from place to place.

In any case - a big read flag went up in my mind and I thought "probable scam looming" when I read "I had a couple email me looking for info for a double side wedding - Miami and Scotland. . . what would the flights be"

The reality is; there are relatively few international weddings where one photographer is engaged to travel to cover all aspects of the wedding: the bait to such scams is the allure of international travel and the glamour of being chosen as somewhat of a celebrity photographer. This general approach of "we need you as our talented photographer for our upcoming international wedding" is a common opening gambit for a variety of scams.

To your direct question: "They will not leave me alone - what can I do?"

> As you mention the communication thus far has been by email - then simply select their email address to "JUNK and IGNORE" and move on with your other business.

> As suggested, I would save all the communication (as well as saving the electronic files my business protocol would be to print hard copies on which I scribe any relevant annotations). I would only engage a lawyer if they begin legal action.

WW

• Like 1

Yes this sounds like a classic scam. I'll bet whoever this is that you've never met is trying to run this routine on a dozen people at once. A few probably cave or write it off as a cost of doing business. I just got an e-mail from Malasia today from someone I don't know wanting to borrow $2550 for a heart transplant and swearing that it would be repaid quickly. It was good for a brief laugh anyway.

Rick H.