Thoughts on background?

andrewgillis

I really like this shot, but it bothers me that the background is not even from left to right - should it?! I'm not a pro with post-processing, and I'm having a hard time trying to correct the background without losing fine detail from the spider's legs... Do you think it detracts significantly from the image? Thanks!

spider_and_fly_working.thumb.jpg.8e8e18be53e19de136b8afecc42b4a5d.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think it's perfect as is. I actually really like the background exactly as it is in the photo. All in all, this photo is quite lovely indeed!

Rotating the photo may alter the context of the spider with its prey in the web- as shot, BUT it greatly assists the viewer in better seeing the image, IMO. Absolutely nothing wrong with a "fix" or alteration of a photo. In today's world of digital photography, and digital everything, people enhance, edit, crop, and otherwise work on even film photo scans.

Not knowing any sort of specific editing software your computer or phone certainly must have a basic editing capability. Often, even a bare-bones, light-handed edit or enhancement might make a discernible and positive difference. I suggest taking a look around whatever device you're using to manage or store photos.

Thanks for posting!

Edited by Ricochetrider
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
The picture is honestly amazing and the background doesn't distract the attention from the spider. Though, I would edit it a little. First of all I would rotate the photo the way MrAndMrsIzzy and kmac suggested. It already looks much better this way. Secondly, I think I would change the background on a green bokey as if the spider was in the woods, or something. What do you think? As I read from your post you're not a professional, so in case you can't use photoshop to change it, you may consider using movavi. They have a lot of apps to edit video/photo/audio, make screenshot, convert the file and so on.