Thoughts on 70-200 F4

Mike_R1664876643

<p>I currently own the 80-200 f2.8 ED (2 ring) lens. Of course it's a very solidly built lens and very heavy to boot. The only major issue I have with mine right now is the focus switch ring is broken, so I've taped it to stay in autofocus. I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix it, or where to even send it to for repair.<br>

I'm getting ready for a trip to Las Vegas and Utah in a couple weeks, and am debating whether it would be worth replacing the 80-200 with the 70-200 f4 for a lighter weight tele-zoom. Of course at $1400 the lens isn't exactly cheap, and I would probably hold on to my 80-200 at least for awhile. Has anyone switched to the F4 lens, and what are your thoughts on it? I mainly just shoot landscapes, and currently shoot with a D300s. I'm considering going full-frame when Nikon updates the D600 in a year or two.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix it..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can't offer any thoughts on the AF-S 70~200/4, but the broken AF/M mode ring switch on the AF 80~200/2.8D is a very common fault, and a common repair. Authorized Photo Service (<a href="http://nikoncamerarepair.com/">nikoncamerarepair.com</a>) in Morton Grove, IL could probably give you an estimate of repair cost by email or phone, as generally a new replacement part and labour is all that is required.</p>

<p>I recently made the switch you're considering because I needed a lighter lens than the 80-200 f/2.8, to use on a D7000 and a D7100. The VR on the 70-200 f/4 is unbelievable, I like everything about this lens, but haven't tried it yet in light dim enough that the lack of f/2.8 might make AF difficult.</p>

<p>If you're shooting landscapes, on a tripod, you might not want to rush out for the new lens. Nikon sometimes offers a discount, at least at B&H, when you purchase this lens together with a body, something to consider since you're planning to move to FX.</p>

<p>I had the 80-200/2.8 AFS, bought a 70-20/2.8 AFS VR II, sold the 80-200/2.8 AFS, then for a light weight alternative I bought the 70-200/4 VR and could not be happier. It's excellent at 200mm for distant subjects (gets a little soft at 200mm and MFD), very very good at the shorter end of the focal length range (quite excellent at 70mm and MFD though).<br>

As others have said the VR is simply outstanding and I think a stop better than the 70-200/2.8 VR II.<br>

Does really really well with the TC14E too . . <br>

<br />Other than not being f/2.8 the lens is an excellent choice.<br>

<br />Oh, and I shoot with a D800 and it can certainly stand up to 36MP.</p>

<p>If you want/need VR, upgrade. Otherwise just get your current lens fixed if you are fully satisfied with it. Nikon gives free repair estimates.</p>

<p>FWIW, KEH repair price is a flat rate of $155 plus $10 to ship and they are an extremely reliable company</p>

<p><a href="http://www.keh.com/Repair-Center.aspx">http://www.keh.com/Repair-Center.aspx</a></p>

<p>Thanks again for your responses. I'm going to take your advice and have the lens fixed, either at KEH or APS. I won't have time to have it fixed before our trip, so I'll just take it and use it in AF mode as I've been doing. Maybe Nikon will have a rebate on the 70-200/4 around the holidays, because I do think eventually I want to get one.</p>

<p>the 70-200 f/4 is my go to lens for a fun alternative walk around lens from the typical 16-85mm lens.</p>

<p>VRIII is really nice also. it does work very well, but shutter speed is always a priority. at least a priority for most things. </p>

<p>I would say do it! I can't get enough of the lens</p>