Thoughts about a D610 successor?

peter_cohen

<p>Hi: I am about to purchase a D610 as I need to replace one of my D7000s and would like the flexibility of having both an FX- and a DX-format body. Before I pull the trigger, is there anything coming from Nikon in the next few months that would be better than the D610 in terms of low-light focusing or less high-ISO noise? I'm looking for reliable info not wish-list or rumor-mill bits.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Anyone who knew would be under an NDA's terms and not talking. The rumor sites do sometimes get a whiff of what's ahead but of late usually don't start to leak until a new product is almost here.</p>

<p>For Nikon, all you can really do beyond parsing fanboy blather is watch the imaging shows like CP+ opening next Thursday:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.cpplus.jp/en/">http://www.cpplus.jp/en/</a></p>

<p>Isn't the D610 just some months old? The D600 is just ove a year old right .. Come back maybe 2 or 3yrs :-) While on this topic the 24-70mm 2.8 historically speaking should be due an update this year or next. Isn't the 70-200mm F2.8 VRII that people rave about up to 3yrs used, the F4 is something like up to 2yrs. I read that the 70-200mm F2.8 VR II was updated after 6yrs after the VRI - so if 2yrs is gone and end of this 2014 in 2yrs after that we may hear some whispers ... :-D In that time what is thought as awesome today won't be anymore ;-) It wasn't that long ago people were still using D2x. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm looking for reliable info</p>

</blockquote>

<p>With all due respect, what kind of answers are you expecting?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>better than the D610 in terms of low-light focusing</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are looking for better low-light focusing you have to look at Nikon's best focus module, the D800, D700, D7200 being examples.</p>

<p><strong>Phil</strong>: I haven't had the kind of time recently to dig through the various web sites that follow new camera releases, so I was merely suggesting that I wasn't interested in rumors. Maybe had my fingers crossed that there may be solid info that I had not seen.</p>

<p>I appreciate everybody's comments.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Before I pull the trigger, is there anything coming from Nikon in the next few months that would be better than the D610 in terms of low-light focusing or less high-ISO noise? I'm looking for reliable info not wish-list or rumor-mill bits.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Quite a few people have asked this type of questions on this forum, but absolutely nobody has ever gotten any useful answer on any unannounced product from Nikon. Even though someone might give you what eventually turns out to the correct information/prediction, since it is not confirmed by Nikon, you will still have no idea that it is true or not.</p>

<p>The so called "Osborne Effect," when a company prematurely pre-announces a future product such that customers would stop buying the current product, which leads to cash flow issues and eventually the company's bankruptcy, is one of the classic mistakes where people study at business schools: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect</a></p>

<p>The OP here is precisely trying to find out whether he should stay away from the current model. It should surprise nobody that Nikon, as well as other companies, is very tight on controlling info on future models.</p>

Peter, there is no good reason to think Nikon has a new model coming soon, so you should choose between the D610

and D800. There is no substantial difference between those cameras in high ISO noise, but the D800 does have better

low light focusing than the D610.

<p>If the ability to focus in low light is your main criteria, I would avoid the D610. It has the same module as your d7000. For low light focus ability your choice really comes down to a used D800 or the D7100. I am a night photographer and use the D7100. I am continually surprised by just how little light it needs to focus with an f2.8 or faster lens. Honestly, I get fast focus using only moonlight with this thing! A D610 won't even come close to that. A D800 probably would, but you will need the lenses for it.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>