Those of you who shoot 35mm slides.

<p>What's been your reason to still shoot them?</p>

<p>I've been with digital shooting RAW of course but PP has never done much PP. </p>

<p>I started shooting some slides this year. They been in the freezer for some time. I like how you only got a certain amount of shots, plus I am a scape photographer on low volume. A roll last me a month - lol. When I get the slides back they look great, the colors pop, you can see the results before you leave the lab. No PP required other than matching slide. Plus of course when the slide is back lighted.</p>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I started out shooting color print film 30 years ago and quickly became unhappy with the quality so a friend who got me started in 35mm photography gave me a roll of Kodachrome 64 and said try this and tell me what you think.I was so blown away that I've never looked back.The realism even back then was outstanding, it was like being back at the original scene looking at it with my own eyes once again.It is ironic today because we have some of the highest quality E6 film ever offered yet the E6 structure is in collapse.So many people have been enchanted by digital that they don't even know what options are out there - a lot like me 30 years ago.Don't get me wrong digital is great stuff and I'm sure at some point will obsolete film completely due to marketing forces but I fear we will have lost forever one of the best and many photogaphers will hang up the cameras when it is gone.Our modern world is too quick to dismiss everything from the past as being oboslete when a new technology comes along. </p>

<p>Am at an age where digital imagery means nothing, it may as well be colour print film, which it is to all intent.<br>

Slides, I share with others of railways. We are all of a similar age, over 40 under 100 years of age and we all still use slide film. Now granted processing is a often a pain however the box returns from the processor, is opened, "absorb the smell"<br>

and the images loaded in the stack loader and reviewed. Discards in one pile, keepers in another.<br>

In my area we still have a monthly slide show to about twenty or thirty of the faithful, who either have current slides, or slides taken in some cases 50 or more years prior.<br>

Most slides are still Kodachrome although not for long, with Fuji Sensia and Provia pushing Kodak away.<br>

I have a digital camera however there is something about the permanance of film, which a digital image, stored can never<br>

become.</p>

<p>I'd keep shooting Astia if I still had overnight processing by a real lab. I don't, so 35mm is now B&W only..I'm very happy with my B&W silver scans with Nikon V... (zero reason to shoot color neg, risking careless lab handling and bad chemistry, when DSLR/RAW is so much better visually in virtually all situations and undoubtedly more "archival").</p>

<p>Mr. Ray...<br /><br />First there was Eastman with the slogan "You push the button, we do the rest". That was so non-photographers could play with a camera. Eastman preloaded the film, developed and printed it for you. Later there was the Instamatic 126 and later, with crappier results, the Instamatic 110 and the beloved Disc Camera (complete with tiny film chips). Then along came the Girliemen with the APS system. Today non-photographers have digital. <br /><br />The short answer: Real men still use film.<br /><br />ATB</p>

<p>I use and develop my own B&W and E-6. I do have a real good lab here in town that can do my E-6 in 4 hours. I'm probably going back to having them do my E-6. I don't own anything other than film cameras. So until film is no more or my photography business takes off and I have to go digital, I will shoot 70% E-6 30% B&W!</p>

<p>Because I still enjoy "making the photo in the camera" and not having to muck about with post production processing just to get the colours anywhere near accurate. (In this respect it was most interesting to hear the many comments by newer (digital user) members of my camera club after a recent showing of the results of the "100% Pure" national slide competition that we run. They just couldn't get over the colours and quality of the work shown!)<br>

I do use digital for some work (especially like a Polaroid to sort out the composition etc before reverting to film) but prefer slide film (Velvia 100F) for my 'serious' photography. The only draw back is the cost - up to $1.50 every time one presses the shutter.</p>

<p>I like Elitechrome. Nice film and less than $5.00 a roll for the 100 speed. It's still being made which is good. Processing is 40miles from the house so that is always a challenge. Once this last lab goes out of business I will be finished with E-6. I guess at that point I will just shoot my digital camera. It works very good also. I am finished with mini labs, CostCo and what have you for C41. Their work is just not good enough for me.</p>

<p>Hi there, Ray - I shoot slide film because of its lovely, nuanced colors, highlight gradation, and natural, organic look. My favorite is Fuji Astia 100F (because it's great for portraits, in particular).</p>

<p>I have a gallery of 8x10 portraits of our 5 year old daughter displayed in my office at work - some digital, some film, both color and B&W, all taken by available light, scanned, and printed at home on my HP 7960.</p>

<p>The one that draws the most comment was taken on Astia - "How did you get those colors / highlights / skin tone?" <br>

'Nuff said - as you yourself already know!</p>

<p>Because it's almost like being there again. I've shot mostly Kodachrome since 1981 and some Velvia. I like to project them and like the scans. Now I shoot mainly Velvia 100 and some Velvia 50. I don't shoot much, if any, slide film in the winter but if there was B&W slide film, I'd try that.<br>

A lady just gave me about 40 rolls of freezer kept slide film. A lot of original Velvia, I've experienced that and can't wait for spring to shoot some. I don't know anything about the characteristics of the others below. I need to determine what these would be good for.<br>

Provia 400, 400F and 100F<br>

Sensia 100 and 200</p>