Thom Hogan Took a Nikon Z9 to Africa and On-Line Presentation

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ShunCheung, Dec 25, 2021.

1. It was quite a pleasant presentation (with a questionable shirt), though I didn't get to bed until 2.30 GMT.
    Very informative, though most of the information had already been mentioned on his Z9 blog.

2. I missed the first 10 minutes of the presentation. Regarding cameras and lenses, he also used a Nikon Z 50 and a 18-xxx lens. I missed the full name of the lens. I know the Z 50 is DX; not sure about the lens being DX or FX and or S. That seemed to be a neat small sized travel option. Thom said he used it for sky shots and other uses. Does anybody have info or thoughts on that lens?

3. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Thom Hogan had a DX 18-140mm lens on his Z50. That is roughly the equivalent of the Z 24-200mm lens for FX.

NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR | Interchangeable lens for Nikon mirrorless cameras

So far Nikon only have three DX lenses in the Z mount: 16-50, 50-250, and the 18-140. There is 12-28 on the roadmap but not yet officially announced.

NikonZLensRoadmap_2021Dec14.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  4. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  5. Thanks Shun for the DX lens info

ShunCheung likes this.
  6. Thanks for posting the link. I watched about 40% of it so far, it seems like it's a good camera for photographing action and a lot of people are likely to enjoy it if they can get their hands on it. :)

7. For those of you who connect cables to the camera, see the section where Thom talks about needing an Apple dongle to get one cable type to work. I believe this may apply to only the lightning cable, but I am not sure. See video about minute 49-51.

8. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Actually there is also a 24mm DX on the Z lens roadmap. That will be the first non-zoom DX Z lens.

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Interesting, now 3 weeks later, that Zoom meeting recording is still available.

Incidentally, there is another Z9 on-line event. This one is on Wednesday, January 26, presented by an NPS rep Molly Riley:
    Online Event Page | Eventbrite

It is Wednesday, January 26 at 7pm US Eastern, 4pm Pacific. Sorry, I know the time slot is poor for Europe.

robert_davies|2 likes this.