Thom Hogan Took a Nikon Z9 to Africa and On-Line Presentation

ShunCheung

Hogan received a pre-production Z9 from Nikon USA and took it to Botswana earlier this month, from December 6 to 20. I guess it is barely pre-production since Nikon started shipping the production version around December 23 or so; perhaps the firmware was further refined.

Hogan will give an on-line presentation sponsored by Paul's Photo in the Los Angeles area on Monday, December 27, 2021 from 5 to 7pm Pacific Standard Time, i.e. from 8pm US Eastern. If that time in inconvenient for you, most likely Paul's Photo will put it on YouTube afterwards.

This presentation is delayed by a week to still Monday, January 3, 2022, 8pm EST/5pm PST.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 4

Thanks Shun, I registered and will try to make it.

You are welcome. Don't blame me if you get interested and end up buying a Z9. :cool:

BTW, recall that Nikon announced the Z9 on October 28, 2021. A few days after that, on November 3,Thom Hogan did an earlier session with Paul's Photo to go over the Z9's features. At the time Hogan had only played with a pre-production model for a short while. If you are interested, you can watch the November 3 session on YouTube. Please keep in mind that session was 2 hours and 43 minutes long, and of course Paul's Photo was trying to get people to pre-order:

Edited by ShunCheung

Thom Hogan's perspective of the Z9 should be interesting. Please keep in mind that he is there to help Paul's Photo to sell cameras, and perhaps to help himself sell more Nikon eBooks. I expect Thom to be quite positive towards the Z9, which apparently is excellent from all the reports I have seen.

Speaking of Paul's Photo, their current owner seems to be Mark Comon. I assume the original founder was Paul. They are in Torrance, south of the Los Angeles International Airport, not far from where Tiger Woods had his car accident early this year. Even though I used to live in the Los Angeles area for over a decade, I had never heard of Paul's Photo until Thom's video from last month. I guess the store was founded after I had moved to the East Coast. Most of the camera stores I was familiar with in Los Angeles have since gone out of business.

Not surprisingly, Mark Comon is a sales guy. If you haven't seen enough Z9 "unboxing" videos, here is one from him :rolleyes:

Yes indeed! The Z9 looks big. :eek:

The Z9 is smaller than my D5. I am not sure Ilkka remembers my wife; he has been to our house once, almost 20 years ago. My wife is 5'1"/155cm and usually complains about the weight of my camera gear. Way back in 1990 she once picked up my F4 and immediately complained. She has handled our local Nikon rep's Z9 and thinks it is ok. The Z9 is thinner than the pro SLRs and DSLRs due to the lack of the mirror.

I would imagine Paul's Photo will put the recording on YouTube. Again, they are in the Los Angles area while Thom Hogan lives in Pennsylvania (US East Coast, 3 time zones ahead). It is going to be all remote anyway.

I don't see the recording yet. Typically Paul's Photo/Mark Comon would put the recording on YouTube so that anybody can watch without any expiration date. The Zoom session was of mediocre video quality, 720p, and people thought Thom's images were all on the soft side. I think you need at least 1080p to look sharp.

I missed the first 10 minutes of the presentation. Regarding cameras and lenses, he also used a Nikon Z 50 and a 18-xxx lens. I missed the full name of the lens. I know the Z 50 is DX; not sure about the lens being DX or FX and or S. That seemed to be a neat small sized travel option. Thom said he used it for sky shots and other uses. Does anybody have info or thoughts on that lens?

I missed the first 10 minutes of the presentation. Regarding cameras and lenses, he also used a Nikon Z 50 and a 18-xxx lens. I missed the full name of the lens. I know the Z 50 is DX; not sure about the lens being DX or FX and or S. That seemed to be a neat small sized travel option. Thom said he used it for sky shots and other uses. Does anybody have info or thoughts on that lens?

Thom Hogan had a DX 18-140mm lens on his Z50. That is roughly the equivalent of the Z 24-200mm lens for FX.

NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR | Interchangeable lens for Nikon mirrorless cameras

So far Nikon only have three DX lenses in the Z mount: 16-50, 50-250, and the 18-140. There is 12-28 on the roadmap but not yet officially announced.

NikonZLensRoadmap_2021Dec14.thumb.jpg.d91376eebe8b7f96f1aedfacba1da010.jpg

Edited by ShunCheung