This year's xmas treasure

rogerwb

<p>As the choice of categories in the LF forum start with 5x7, I'll start here with a 4x5 I received as a christmas present. The brand stamp on the camera is Flammang's and appears to have a Petzval type lens, Labeled Darlot, Paris and engraved on the rim is Hemispherique,Rapide. Most functions are straightforward, as basic<br>

view-type cameras go but film/plate loading is a mystery. The GG back closes up tight to the camera body, there being no provision for the ususal type of plate holder. The only info available via Google refers to a later revolving back camera by this manufacturer. Pics are included. Any info or ideas out there ?</p><div>00cGEc-544431784.jpg.1a14f6b3599827e683e89d561120da6a.jpg</div>

<p>Wow, you are in for a treat....I mean without going to uber 8x10. I'm presently refurbing a 5x7 that's over 100yrs in age. Looks like the <em>box joints</em> seem to be in tact....so you don't have an additional issues with truing the rig. Make sure there are no holes in the bellows.....you can run a bright pen light (bare bulb) through it...in a dark room. <br>

I'm not familiar with this lens, tho there are many to see via google....and some on the 'bay. I'm sure Dan can give you more info (links ?) on this.<br>

Looks like you're missing the film holder. If you are lucky you should be able to find one for sale....otherwise you can construct one yourself. Apparently there are registration pins (visible when the door is open) that will permit the film holder to slip into position.....that also means that you can turn the holder either in landscape or portrait configuration. Making one will require some crafty finesse, especially maintaining correct distances for the film channel. The information for these tolerances are widely available.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Very nice camera. I buy and use these and have a few thoughts. First, the lens was made by Alphonse Darlot in Paris. It is not a Petzval, it is a rapid rectilinear. That was the third major lens type of the 19th century--the other two were the achromatic doublet and Petzval. The camera is called a "tailboard," and these were popular from roughly the 1860s through 1910. Your camera was designed for dry plates, and is not 4x5. It is more likely half plate, which is close to 5x7. It takes "book" style wooden holders which were designed for glass plates. I have a similar camera made by Watson & Son in the 1890s. I put "spacers" in the holders and can shoot 4x5 sheets in it. I shoot ISO 25 film in it and use ND filters over the lens to slow exposure down to 1 second. You rapid rectilinear lens will have a slot on the top, in the middle. This is for Waterhouse slots. You can make your own out of either thin brass sheets (painted black to cut reflection) or black plastic. Focus the lens at infinity, then measure distance from the ground glass to the middle of the lens. That give you the focal length of the lens. Use the f-stop formula to determine how big a hole to make in the center of the stop. Your lens is likely f8 wide open.<br /> The plate holders you are looking for are wooden, probably half plate, book style half plate holders. They are relatively easy to find on ebay but there is a catch. They weren't standardized at the time. You will have to try different one until you find a pair that fit. They are call "double sided holders" as they were designed to put a plate on each side. I can attach photos of mine if you can't find them on the internet. Cost is anywhere from $20 to $40. You focus the lens, then insert the film holder, cover the lens, remove the darkslide (it pulls up but not all the way out,) remove your hand to take the shot, and recover lens, replace darkslide. there are shutters you can add to give you timed shots such as Thornton Pickard or a Packard type. they come in different sizes.</p>

<p>Star Camera can probably make you plate holders if you can't find any.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>One other thing. I noticed that on your lens it says "BF & Co." This stands for Benjamin French & Company. I believe they were in Philadelphia from roughly the Civil war to about 1890. They were the official importers of Darlot lenses. Darlot was a maker of good quality lenses that were mass produced in Paris. Alphonse Darlot bought out lens maker Jamin somewhere around 1860 and sold out in 1893 or so. Your lens should say something like "Hemispherique No. 3" or something on it. That will give you the coverage and length of the lens. If your ground glass measures about 6x8 or so, it is a whole plate, not a half plate. Lens is likely original to the camera.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Thanks Kent, I could use a pic of the holder, also I found a patent drawing and specs via Google. I'll figure something out. My wife gave me this and when I suggested making a lensboard to use the lens on a Speed Graphic, the look I got was not exactly approving.</p>

<p>Hmmm. Looking at it closer, I don't think this takes the book style holders common in the 1890s. It looks like something older. I'd post a question about it on the large format photography forum. You might have to have one made from Star Camera Co. or similar place. Measure the ground glass to see what format it is. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>The distance to the GG must be exactly the distance to the film. Otherwise, image won't be in focus. The other size this could be is quarter plate, which is roughly 3.25x4 in. (going from memory here.) If the lens focuses at less than five inches, it might be quarter plate.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>