"This is why your photographer doesn't send all the photos"

john_h.1

<p>Beyonce is a beautiful woman filled with grace, talent, and drive. Her physical condition is a prerequisite for the demanding half-time performance. Any negative comment or reaction to a photo of a fleeting moment in an admirable performance reveals more of the shallow viewer than the talented performer. </p>

<p>This kind of whining by celebrities has resulted in very restrictive agreements for a lot of photographers. A typical agreement can be found <a href="https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/792152_610981865585783_460785553_o.jpg">here</a>. Essentially, you trade access for no right to use your own photographs outside of your own portfolio and marketing materials. Everything has to go back through the management company for any use. The one linked here is one of the worst - most allow for editorial usage of a small number after review by the management company.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Essentially, you trade access for no right to use your own photographs outside of your own portfolio and marketing materials.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think there may be an exchange of money for services involved as well. ;-)</p>

<p>I don't know why photographers don't see this as a teaching moment. This image confirms what I've discovered about the power of photography and how it influences human perception.</p>

<p>It goes back to answering the question I had about a statement made by Tom Hanks on Letterman when he kept making jokes about his good side versus bad. After closely examining Mr. Hanks facial structure and hairline as he moved about in front of the camera, I saw what he was talking about.</p>

<p>I started experimenting with this phenomenon on a series of my own self portraits and was blown away by all the different looks I could get changing lighting angles, facial expressions, lens angle and framing on top of what I could do with color in post in how it changed my own perception of how I saw myself compared to how I appeared out in the real world like on security camera feeds and in the mirror.</p>

<p>I didn't even recognize Beyonce in that image. I thought at first sight it was a muscle bound cross-dressing impersonator and a bad one at that.</p>

<blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I think there may be an exchange of money for services involved as well. ;-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> No, not at all. This is a contract for photographers that want to shoot the show.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, I guess I stand corrected. I assumed that was part of a contract for a photographer hired to get images for the performer's managers. In the end it's still their venue, and I understand their motivation to want to have as much control over it's coverage as possible. But it does take economic motivations pretty much out of it for the photographer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Click on the image in the OP's link and it'll bring you to a photo-retoucher on Facebook.<br>

Another clue is the unusual triceps bulge and the unnatural blood vessels when the arm is not under tension.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Michael, I went to the Facebook link and there's no evidence I could find that the retoucher made Beyonce look that unrecognizable. JDM's MSN link suggests it's just what it is, unretouched. There are other unflattering images but linked to that MSN article, not originally from the retoucher's FB page.</p>

<p>Irregardless if it is or not retouched, my point about photography changing perception is still valid.</p>

<p>Maybe Disney animators should've rotoscoped her dance routine because those guys were required to make each frame look beautiful as demanded by Walt Disney.</p>

<p>Not a stinker among 'em...</p>

<p>http://www.animatormag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pba172b-dance.jpg</p>

<p>http://www.animatormag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/little-mermaid.jpg</p>