third party flash

photojoe

I haven't found any offical word, maybe I can get some info here. Are

there any third party flash units that work with the 7D, and I don't

mean fire at 100% power all the time as working. A flash that

functions like a 5600hs or 3600hs, under TTL control.

I was going to buy the Sigma EF 500 Super for my Minolta 7D.

But Minolta has done something nasty to their system and the Sigma flash is not anymore 100% compatible with the digital Minolta SLRs.

So at the end I had to go for the more expensive Minolta 5600hs.

But I think Sigma wants to bring out an update for their flash, so maybe it is worth waiting.

It is not just the 7D. TTL, which reads the flash output as it bounces off of the film, does not work with digital because there is no film. The 5400HS will not work either, as it uses traditional TTL.

I believe the 5600HS and the 3600HS both use pre-flash to determine output.

chad

I had an old Quantaray flash from my film days which gave me inconsistent results. Surprized me...I thought I was screwing up until I heard that old flashes don't work with digital cameras (score 1 for camera salesman, 0 for me). So I searched around and figuring the Minolta flashes were way overpriced, I bought a Sigma EF-500 DG ST that is supposedly designed for digital cameras.

Usually same results, either I don't know what I am doing or this flash isn't working on the 7D as advertised (score 1 for Konica Minolta, 0 for me)

I am reluctant to get the expensive KM flash unless someone can guarantee me they will work. Either that or I'll eBay the lot and go with a Canon or Nikon.

Sigma EF-500 DG ST II is supposed to work with the D7D but the one I ordered didn't. Only the newest firm wear is supposed to work, so I sent it back. You get a lot of features with the 5600hsd and 3600 hsd that you don?t get with other flashes whish is why they cost a little more. But to sell it all and so to another system will cost even more. If you look around eBay you will find flashes at a good price.