Third party flash options for Nikon

Mike_R1664876643

<p>I want to pick up a flash unit for my D300s and eventual D810 just for occasional use. I don't do a lot of flash photography, but want a flash to shoot some photos at my daughter's wedding next year, and just to have when needed. I've been looking at the SB-700, but at $326 are there any less expensive third party options that would work about as well as the Nikon flashes? What disadvantages would there be with a third party flash? I know long ago I had Vivitar and Sunpak flashes, they seemed to work well, but that was before cameras became as complex as they are today. Also, I used to have an SB-600, but regrettably sold it a couple years ago from lack of use. I've missed it ever since.</p>

<p>If iTTL and CLS compatibility on a budget is a priority, you might consider a used SB-800. Mine is going on 10 years of regular use and has been very reliable. It's also so versatile that I use it as often on non-Nikon cameras as on Nikons. The non-TTL auto flash is excellent and works well with any camera. Ditto the full manual control from 1/1 to 1/128th output.</p>

<p>Tonight I used it with my equally useful SC-29 cord for off-camera non-TTL flash with my Fuji X-A1 for some snaps of a neighbor and her puppy in a silly Halloween costume. Regular non-TTL auto flash didn't work because of the oversized homebrewed diffuser, which interferes with the feedback sensor. But it just took a few test shots to guesstimate the appropriate manual output setting for balanced flash with evening light.</p>

<p>On many occasions I'll use the SB-800 in SU-4 mode for expedient off-camera flash triggered fill. The SU-4 mode simply enables an optical trigger, just like those non-TTL "peanut" flashes and Wein triggers. It works best with the SB-800 in full manual output. It works with almost any on-camera flash, even those with TTL flash that can't be disabled. The preflash will trigger the SB-800, which will recycle almost instantaneously and be ready a split second later for the main flash. The only trick is to keep the manual output to 1/2 or less.</p>

<p>The flash zoom head can be adjusted as needed, including deliberately mimicking a vignetted effect with a narrow beam of light and lots of fall off at close range. The head is reversible, tilts, swivels, etc. It includes a built-in bounce card (a bit short but useful up close) and wide angle diffuser. The detachable diffuser dome also works very well at close range, and it activates a microswitch that automagically sets the zoom head to the optimal position for diffusion.</p>

<p>There aren't many flashes that are much more versatile and good values. Some of the pre-digital era Nikon flashes like the SB-80 may be equally appealing if you don't need iTTL and CLS compatibility.</p>

<p>The SB800 is probably the best for you in terms of size and cost, but you wont be able to get it new. </p>

<p>I supplemented my 800 with a Nissin Di866 II which I would recommend. This is about the same size, takes 4 AA cells and has a bit more power. Importantly, despite the difference UI, it works perfectly with my D300 and has no problem working alongside the SB800 with CLS. There are minor differences but on the whole I have been extremely satisfied with the flash. It has quite a rugged build despite being considerably cheaper.</p>

<p>If you want TTL compatibility I'll throw my vote in for a used SB-800 as your best reasonably priced option in terms of build quality, power and guaranteed compatibility. You can find decent ones under $300 these days and aside from a slightly less intuitive menu system (not too big of an issue in my experience) they are more or less equal to Nikon's current top of the line SB-910 (which goes for $600) and are also a step up from a new SB-700.</p>

<p>Lorne meant "Nissin" rather than "Nissan," and yes, they have been getting good reviews. I'm tempted to switch to the them, for reasons that will be clear in a moment.</p>

<p>I agree that a used SB800 in good condition is able to do everything you need from a speedlight. If you buy one, make sure that the seller hasn't lost the diffuser, the stand, or the battery compartment extension that lets you use 5 batteries instead of four, for faster recycling. Nevertheless, like many others, I hate the user interface on my SB800. It is particularly bad for occasional use, because you have less of an opportunity to get used to it, and may have to re-learn its weird ways each time you take it out.</p>

<p>KEH has a bunch of used <a href="https://www.keh.com/217571/nikon-sb-600-speedlight-gn118-bounce-zoom">SB-600's</a>. Most in excellent condition. Most people may disagree, but I've found my Vivitar DF-583 to quite satisfactory for when I need a flash. Which is not often. It works off camera and is quite bright. I normally have to turn it down. With some Eneloop batteries I get plenty of recycles that last for hours.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone. I'll check out the Nissin flashes. This is the first time I've heard of them. When Lorne said Nissan I immediately thought of the car company and wondered why they were also making camera equipment! I'll also look around the used market for an SB-800. I have heard a lot about that unit having owned the SB-600 before.</p>

<p>Nissin or Metz, there's nothing else worth considering as far as compatibility with I-TTL and CLS is concerned. (Nissan only make vehicles BTW Lorne.)</p>

<p>Nissin's Di866 is actually a bit more powerful than Nikon's top-of-the-range SB-910, and has the added feature of a sub-flash for giving catchlights with bounce flash.</p>

<p>I looked at B&H and they sell the Nissin Di600 for $199. The guide number on the Nissin is 145' (105mm) compared to 92' (35mm) on the Nikon SB-700. The Nikon gives you a few other things like a wide angle diffuser & case, but at $125 less the Nissin looks like a good option. Thanks again for everyone's input</p>

<p>The Nissin I-40 is a compact and affordable alternative to the SB-700. It has good output, which is adjustable, full swivel and tilt capacity and feels just as comfortable on my P7700 as it does on my D300s. With a coverage of 24-105mm on a DX it is very versatile.</p>