instead?

I've used these no frills batteries in other versions for EN-EL3 and

earlier ones for coolpix cams and they all were fine. But, the EN-

EL4 clones I've used are junk; very frustrating. If anyone has found

a way to calibrate them and get them to hold a charge, please let me

know!

Thanks for your help.

Rob

hey... I have a cheapy EN-EL4.. got it along with the d2x, and am actually considering

another... like you i assumed that it would be fine as were my previous silver labeled

batteries for all types of cameras, and it actually has been.. have treated it exactly as the

nikon version,.. and rotate between them frequently, and actually have only noticed a very

slight difference in ability to hold a charge. of course in favor of the nikon. The calibration on

the charger.. any ideas about that anyone.. i for some reason believe that might be where his

problem is since he has gone through multiple batteries...

They seem to be hit-or miss on quality based on reports I have heard from user buddies. However I have no personal knowledge as I only use the Nikon batteries in all of my companies D2h,D2x

Yes the $100 price tag on the "Nikon" battery is high; but so is the price of not getting a shot because your battery died or worse. Spending a $100 for a battery that you can yet 1600 shots out of before charging is cheap.

Hi, Rob,

I'm a happy user of D2H and authentic EN-EL4.

I have to say that you have already waisted more than $50 of value through your annoyance and labor of vainly sending your defect battery.

You'd better purchase Nikon's authentic battery and set yourself free from your obstacles.

Happy shooting!

I tried a generic Chinese made EN-EL4 in my D2H. The charger indicated the battery was charged up but it was dead in the camera. I tried a couple others at the store - they were dead too.

Only afterward did I read several reports of failures with these non-Nikon batteries. Since bad batteries can actually damage the camera I'd consider them a bad gamble, not good luck if one happened to work.

I have three Nikon brand EN-EL4s now. At first I thought it might be overkill but I actually do rotate through all three of them at least once a month. Since I've occasionally been away from my charger for two or three weeks at a time it's handy having reliable spares.

On a related note, my wife uses Sony camcorders which has this "Info Lithium" battery technology. Essentially there is a CPU chip inside the battery that communicates with the camcorder body, similar to that in the D200/EN-EL3e. Two years ago, we bought a 3rd-party battery since the Sony version was temporarily out of stock at the time. That battery worked fine with all 3 of her old caccorders.

Recently, she bought a new camcorder and while that 3rd-party battery can power up the camcorder, when you start shooting, there must be an electronic signal that detects the battery being non Sony and the viewfinder shows a message that you should use a Sony battery, and it would shoot any video.

This type of problem is similar to the 3rd-party lens issue such as the recent Sigma-D200 incompatibility. In other words, if you buy a 3rd-party EN-EL3e or EN-EL4, Nikon (or Sony, Canon ...) can dilibitely make it non-compatible in the future, either with a future DSLR or simply via a firmware upgrade.

Thanks for your input everyone. I appreciate it. This appears to be one instance where stock Nikon is better. The factory Nikon batteries have a small circuitboard embedded on them, where the clones do not, though not sure if this impacts their ability to charge or function. As Lex mentions, one was DOA.

To answer the questions of why not spend an extra $55, well, if the two operate with the same performance, as in all of my past experiences, why should you spend twice the price for the same performance? You shouldn't. But, in this case, it appears, that the clones do NOT offer the same performance as the stock models especially with the sophisticated hardware and as such, the OEM models are the preferred route.

Thanks again.

Rob

• 3 months later...

Guys,

It's your problem. Please try to remember that if you need perpetual compatibility, why not go for Fujifilm S3 Pro instead of D200??? S3Pro is compatible with F mount lenses and plenty of AA batteries around and so cheap. If your camera does not die on you you will have plenty of power options. So please stop wasting your time on propritory Lithium batteries and concentrate on AA Batteries. OK NI-MH AA batteries don't give enough run time but when you can have them for so cheap why bother about run time in the first place??? Long live Fuji S3 Pro with Nikon F Mount. MORAL OF THE STORY: DIGITAL EQUIPMENT WILL BE GOOD BUT WHAT IT'S OF ANY USE IF IT DOES NOT HAVE POWER SUPPLY??? LONG LIVE AA :-)

• 1 month later...
HI just had to respond to this one as I have just had a clone delivered this morning,charged it and it does not work. it has no charge and is not seen in the camera. Doesnt even power the lcd that shows even when the D2X is turned off.......Have the feeling after reading your posts replys that there is an inherent problem with many of the china based clones. I know that when i was invited to a nikon driven seminar before the D200 lunch, nikon stressed that they were to make the camera know if a clone was inside. Maybe the D2X is as clever.?