Thinking of switching from Canon

m_m7

<p>A few weeks ago I had the luck to get almost for free the set of 31,43,77 limited lenses and a MZ-S body in new condition.At that time I was asking here about some suggestions of a wide lens and a backup body.I aquired the 20-35/f4 and a 50mm/1.4 FA lenses as suggested.I liked them so much that I am thinking now to sell my complete Canon AF lineup (a 5D Mark II and twenty lenses) for a K7 and a bunch of Pentax lenses(the limited for digital plus some good zooms).I have also the Pentax 645 and the Pentax 67 with 5-6 lenses each so maybe is a good idea to have all from one brand...<br>

The only reasons I am still thinking are:I got spoiled with full frame and the great performance in low light and second the possibility that Pentax will make a full frame which will render all these beautiful little guys useless.<br>

I checked them all in New York City including the K7 .They are small and gorgeous.Do you think the move is worth it or I am just being silly?I have to admit that I am not a professional ,just like cameras especially old ones.<br>

Regards,<br>

Mihail</p>

<p>Well, for starters, I have to wonder why you assume that your limiteds would be useless on a full frame Pentax? The lenses you list above were made for a film camera. A FF DSLR just means that their length would behave the same on the DSLR as your film SLR. The cool thing about having that MZ-S and a DSLR is being able to use the same lenses on both bodies! <br>

Now, the lenses on your MF camera on the other hand....<br>

I second old ones just being fun - Matt's dad just picked up an old bellows view camera from a co-worker. I wonder if Matt n I could take that one out....</p>

<p>I think you are being silly, yes. Caught up with all the gadgets and pretty lenses. Go take some beautiful photographs, you have a camera and a lens, all you need is some inspiration, motivation.. a bunch of new glass won't cure that. Take a browse on this site, go to some art galleries, spend some time with your favourite subjects - that's what I usually do. Good luck!</p>

<p>I wouldn't get caught up in the whole brand shenanigans. If you have a compulsion to spend more money get a used K20D for $600 and get further use out of those excellent K-mount lenses. Then you can compare it with the equally excellent D5 MKII.</p>

<p>But really, Richard makes the spot-on point. This should be more about using your tools than buying and selling your tools.</p>

<p >Today's Online Photographer has a very strong <a href="http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html">article </a> by Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai that I recommend reading. Please note one of her paragraphs:</p>

<blockquote>

<p >It's easier to focus on buying that next piece of equipment than it is to accept that you should be able to create great work with what you've got. Buying stuff is a convenient and expensive distraction. You need a decent camera, a decent lens, and a light meter. Until you can use those tools consistently and masterfully, don't spend another dime. Spend money on equipment <em>only</em> when you've outgrown your current equipment and you're being limited by it. There are no magic bullets.</p>

</blockquote>

<p >ME<br>

<strong><strong></strong> </strong></p>

<p>Maria I was referring to the other lenses made specially for digital APS.<br>

Richard I do shoot almost every day before and after work in New York City.I just take a different little guy with me every time when their turn comes.Still prefer film for some reason.</p>

<p>How much of the Canon would you need to sell to cover a K7? Personally, if I had the 31, 43, and 77 limiteds, I'd add the FA*24mm, put it all in a bag, and be out shooting, not buying and selling.</p>

<p>You already have two other Pentax systems, so you are obviously comfortable moving from camera to camera. Add a Pentax digital or film body (try a Super Program or ME Super for a great feeling film body), see what happens, and sell the ones that don't get used. The Limiteds will hold their value, and if Pentax does go full frame will jump in value.</p>

<p>If you're into collecting cameras of various formats, why not have a corner for a small APS system? I don't think APS will die, regardless of how affordable FF might become - there will always be a value in having a smaller system.<br>

I'm not saying it's a good idea to sell your Canon equipment - just that I don't think that if Pentax comes up with a FF camera your APS equipment would become useless.</p>

<p>5D mkII + twenty(!?) lenses. You don't need to change systems and I don't think it would make much sense anyway. Just add a Pentax digital body to your collection. I know I'd be seriously happy walking around with limited primes, MZ-S and small yet full featured K7. And you can't be unhappy with primes acquiring image stabilization. :)<br /> Sounds like money is no object here, at least not in $600 (K20D) - $1000 (K7) range. Go for it.</p>

<p>I made a smaller complete switch from Canon to Pentax a few years ago. Mine was a couple of Canon digital bodies and about four lenses, for different reasons. But I'd have to agree with the other comments just add a Pentax digital body to your line you and try it out. At this point I would not bail out on a well established system. I do think a Pentax with it's limited primes is a superior street shooter over most systems. It's small less intrusive with outstanding image and build quality. The K-7 would be the closest in build quality to you MZ-S and matching the build quality of the limited's. But do you really need to cash out of a whole system to fund a $1200 purchase? Perhaps selling off a few unused lenses. Or has been suggested add a k20d to get started, a wonderful camera that the K7 just improved on. Both systems have some advantages. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I got spoiled with full frame and the great performance in low light and second the possibility that Pentax will make a full frame which will render all these beautiful little guys useless.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think I have ever read where the Pentax Limited lenses and "useless" were used in the same sentence. No matter if you go to full frame (Pentax or Canon), medium format, large format or what ever else comes down the pipe those lenses will never be useless. That is just silly.</p>

<p>Slap one of those jewels on your K7 and take some photos and enjoy them. When you use some of those big heavy full frame lenses on a big heavy full frame camera for a while and find yourself wishing for something a little lighter, you'll know what to do.</p>

<p>I kept my pentax kit when I added Canon 5D Classics. I've kept Lenses in Pentax kit that take advantage of inbody antishake, like 105mm 2.5 Macro, 50mm 2.8 Macro. Lenses that do not duplicate my image stabilized canon eos lenses I already own.</p>

<p>20 eos lenses eh? Do you have one of those 14mm to 1600mm canon made lens kits? Or lots of endless focal length overlap?</p>

<p>I shoot and I collect. You'd be best off buying a K-7 locally as you actually have a store that stocks it and then continue to build your multiformat mutlibrand kit with K-7 inhand. That said I assume 5D Mark II is due for price drop. It now remains instock for a week at a time instead of couple hours. Then again they just released another firmware to further enhance the HD features and caprure rates: 24fps and 25fps.</p>

<p>You ever use your 645 and 6x7 medium format glass collection on 5D Mark II? If so, whats your favorite medium format glass adapted onto canon full frame you like the best, & the least?</p>

<p>I've never gotten free gear and you obtained a very nice set up.</p>

<p>That pentax kit you got for "almost free" is likely around $2,000 resale.</p>

<p>Douglas,I was referring to the limited lenses for digital which I intended to purchase.Probably I was not very clear,I am sorry.All the advices converged to one conlusion so I just ordered a K7 with two limited for digital(the macro 35 and the 15) plus the wide zoom 12-24.I just liked how small and gorgeous they were.I kept all my Canons .<br>

Lindy,the best by far is the 300mm/f4 lens for 645.Thts is better than my Canons by a huge margin.However I like it the best on its natural father the 645N.It is nothing like it.<br>

I cannot replicate anything in digital of what I get with this 300mm lens and Provia.The same is valid for the 33-55 zoom for 645.<br>

I am also a collector and I love to repair old cameras.I started by accident finding one old Leica in a dumpster.Had no money to send it somewhere so I did it myself after months of research and tries.<br>

With Pentax I was always in love with Spotmatics(have quite a few) not so much with the K mount.Until i got these AF lenses few weeks ago.I will post some pictures soon from NY and Kodak Tmax.<br>

Thank you for all the great advices(even I got scolded sometimes)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It's easier to focus on buying that next piece of equipment than it is to accept that you should be able to create great work with what you've got. Buying stuff is a convenient and expensive distraction. You need a decent camera, a decent lens, and a light meter. Until you can use those tools consistently and masterfully, don't spend another dime. Spend money on equipment <em>only</em> when you've outgrown your current equipment and you're being limited by it. There are no magic bullets.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I like that quote!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Richard I do shoot almost every day before and after work in New York City.I just take a different little guy with me every time when their turn comes</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hi Mihail. Wow, that's a lot of shooting! How is your hit rate? I find I'm lucky if I get one image a week I'm really happy with, one that I'd be proud to put on my website. Different styles I guess. I like to put preparation into before and after the photo. I don't find just wondering around with my camera much fun anymore, rarely do it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>5D mkII + twenty(!?) lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've found that less lenses mean more photographs. The less you think about 'which lens' or 'which lens today' and more about the light, composition, atmosphere, the more you get out of it. I only really use two lenses these days, a SWA FE and a standard zoom. I carry a tele zoom with me, but it rarely comes out for landscapes/digital compositions. For other subjects, there is rarely more than one or two I'd use. Don't want to sound condescending or anything, just sharing my experiences over the past couple of years or so. If you do photography for collecting and buying, that's cool, I'm giving the other perspective I guess.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Don't do it. You'll never get that kind of high ISO performance from a 1.6 crop sensor, and you'll miss it. I'm a Pentax shooter who got to play with a 5d Mark II for a week, and I gotta admit that I'm extremely jealous of it's high ISO performance.<br>

Unless you NEED a small package for the type of photography you do, don't get rid of your Mark II.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After trying a Canon 40d, I wouldn't switch to Pentax (I have a k20). The Canons simply seem to operate faster in every way: focus, shutter lag, and preview. I also think the meters are more accurate. Pentax has interesting lenses. But I'd rather have useful than interesting--I'd gladly trade my DA 70 for Canon's fast 85. Maybe I will.....</p>

<p>Hi, Mihail. The Pentax Limited prime lenses are truly wonderful with their very high quality constuction, optics, and compact design- a unique and satisfying concept as you have discovered. There is nothing unusual about having two systems by different brands. A number of people who visit this forum do just that, including one or more of the moderators. Simce each brand offers certain qualities of its own, these qualities can be put to use as needed.</p>

<p>The Limited lenses you now have fuction beautifully on a DSLR. They do not need to be replaced or duplicated by "digital" versions in similar focal lengths. You could simply round out your wide angle capability for digital with a very useful DA 21mm f/3.2 Limited. I bought that lens to complement my own 43mm and 77mm Limiteds. They combine for a great set. You have the mid-view (for digital) 31mm Limited as well. The latest, even wider, is the new DA 15mm f/4, but I already have the DA 12-24mm zoom lens, and with the lenses I have, I am more than satisfied.</p>

<p>The compact but well-built K-7 was specifically designed to complement the compact-plus-quality concept of the Limited series lenses, both DA and FA models, such as the ones you now have. The compact design of the MZ-S was formulated with that in mind also. I think adding a K-7 to the fine equipment you now have will lend its own delightful aspects to your photographic experience when combined with the Limited primes, and other fine lenses. And the price is quite reasonable for what it is.</p>

<p>BTW, IF higher ISO shooting is your bag, the new, compact Kx is getting good reviews for that aspect. Its features, control set, and build fall short of the K-7, however. And there is always software like noise ninja to handle noise problems at higher ISO. Finally, since you now have an excellent FF Canon model for higher ISO, that need is met.</p>

<p>Just some other thoughts- If you obtain a standard 49mm Pentax lens cap, going without the lens hood on the 43mm Limited on a compact body makes for a very compact setup indeed! When doing this, I like to add a Hoya skylight <em>1B multi-coated </em>filter to protect the front element. The DA 21mm Limited is very compact, even with its hood left on. The two make for a very versatile, compact pairing. With either lens on my K200D, I can get the camera into a large jacket pocket, or into a modest size sturdy belt pouch.</p>

<p>If you should get the K-7, besides the 21mm Limited I would recommend considering picking up the very nice, yet low-priced, little 18-55mm WR zoom. It is also weather resistant, and you then are fully equipped to do some shooting out in very drippy weather, when you should desire do do so.</p>