thinking of getting a rangefinder

<p>I've never used a rangefinder and have been toying with the idea of picking up something like a Bessa R to play with. I'm a little confused by the array of lenses available, and am wondering what suggestions for something that is a decently performing lens between 35 and 50mm, but that isn't hugely expensive (say under $300) or perhaps if there are any well known dogs to be avoided. Any other suggestions or advice about learning the ins and outs of a rangefinder would be helpful.</p>

<p>I have a Bessa R, and it is a wonderful little camera. It is light, all the controls that you need are there, and the meter is accurate. The viewfinder is very bright and clear. The only shortcoming is that the rangefinder baselength is short. You'll have difficulty focusing a lens of greater than 90mm focal length.</p>

<p>Probably the 50mm lens will be the most commonly available focal length. There are collapsible 50mm f/3.5 lenses made by Leica and clones made in Russia. They will all work fine. You do need to pay attention to their condition, and check for haze between the elements. You may find the modern Voigtlander (Cosina) 50mm lenses to be quite superb, but I think they are above your $300 limit.</p>

<p>If you just want to try a rangefinder, you could save a fortune by buying a Yashica Electro 35 GT. Comes with a fixed sharp 40mm f/1.7 lens and built in metering with auto-exposure. You should be able to get a good one for under $100. They're also extremely quiet (quieter than a Leica or Voigtlander).</p>

<p>Some shots from mine <a href="https://www.flickr.com/search?user_id=37125851%40N05&sort=relevance&text=yashica%20electro">here.</a></p>

<p>I'm still contemplating various M-mount Leicas, but the suggestion to try any of a number of "lesser" RFs is a good one. I especially recommend the Canonet series (various, but the '17' models are good, and not too automatic).<br>

For the real "Leica" (LTM) experience for a lot less $, the Soviet FED models are good. The Kievs are virtual replicas of the pre-war Contaxes. They are among my personal favorites and the lenses can be extraordinary at their best.<br>

Some models of Canon and Nikon rangefinders are outside the serious collector ken, and their prices are lower than Leica.</p>

<p>Although I've used and owned lots of rangefinder cameras for the last 50 years, I'd strongly suggest before plunking down a lot of money for something you may not find agreeable or easy to use, that you get a used, much less expensive one to experiment with. After 5-6 months of shooting with it you will know with certainty what you want to either augment what you have, or trade up to something higher in the stratosphere - perhaps more complex lens characteristics. The most plentiful and least expensive RFs have fixed FL lenses, but many are quite good (I even keep one in my car all the time - although my primary RF shooter is a 1950s Leica). Next step up, IMHO, is the LTM bodies (Leica thread mount, or Leica screw mount - interchangeable terms), with tons of wonderful older lenses out there, German, Japanese, and then more modern lenses. The viewfinders are accurate, but not usually as big and bright as later models. Finally, there are (among others) Leica M mount bodies, designed to accommodate a larger diameter lenses to take advantage of different optical designs and rendering characteristics. All of the abovementioned bodies and lenses are good suggestions, but like swimming, before you jump into the ocean, it makes sense to take lessons in a swimming pool.</p>

Philip - presumably you mean the various Cosina-Voigtlander Color-Skopars. The Snapshot-Skopar is one

of the few scale-focus lenses that Cosina made for Leica mount cameras.

It's a great little lens, but not so good as an introduction to rangefinder cameras.

Christopher - the modern Voigtlanders are fine cameras, and likely will give you years of reliable service. I'd suggest a Bessa T or R2 at the minimum as they use Leica's bayonet mount, which in turn can easily accommodate the earlier screw-mount lenses.

<p>The lens to look for are the Canon LTM 50mm f/1.8 lenses. The early ones are labeled "Serenar" and the later ones dropped the Serenar moniker but are similar lenses. They have chrome barrels (se photo below) They run around $130-175 in good condition. Great optical performance! Late in the Canon LTM series are the black barreled lenses, made for the last of the Canon Rangefinders, the 7 series, which are also very good. They run around $200 or so in good condition. If you are patient, you can sometimes find a late, black barreled, Canon LTM 50mm f/1.4 in your price range (see photo below). This is THE premium choice in your price range. Positively excellent.</p>

<p>Although I've shot Canon RF's for years, the Bessa R has won me over due to its super fine viewfinder, accurate TTL meter, EZ loading back and feather weight. It's low cost makes it a good entry into RF photography with many, affordable German, Japanese and Russian LTM lenses still around when you are ready to expand.</p>

<p>That said, starting off with a $50 fixed lens RF camera, many with excellent lenses, to try out RF photography is not a bad idea. I still have a few around I like to shoot. Often very compact too.</p><div>00ce87-549075684.jpg.b86813688a2229c09fc90e8033329ace.jpg</div>

Yves. Sorry I should be more specific - there are three versions of the CV 35 F2.5. As you state the first two are not

rangefinder coupled - they are the screw lens and the first version of the M mount lens. I was actually referring to the

second version of the M mount lens. This is officially called the 35/F2.5 PII and was introduced in 2004. This lens is

rangefinder coupled and retails at $409. This lens or the CV 40 F1.4 would make a good starting lens. You can see the

range here

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

Not quite... the Snapshot-Skopar is the first version of the 25mm f/4 (screw mount, scale focus). All the

35mm CV lenses couple to the rangefinder (the 35mm f/2.5 lenses all carry the Color-Skopar name).

I certainly wouldn't argue against the CV 35mm f/2.5 - I found the LTM version to be sharp and contrasty, with very pleasant rendering, and I don't believe the optical design has changed through the subsequent versions.

<p>Thanks for the responses everyone, this gives me food for thought, especially the ideas on how to inexpensively dip my toe in the rangefinder waters. The Yashica option looks pretty interesting, one thing that concerns me is the battery issue - I think the battery this requires isn't made any longer. I'll take a look at some of the others that were mentioned too.. the canonet models look like they could be picked up for something similar to the Yashica though a bit more in the $120+/- range.</p>

<p>You can find one of <a href="/classic-cameras-forum/00QTnF">THESE</a> for well under $50 and it has one of the best lenses of any camera. Wein makes 1.3v replacements for the old mercury batteries so not really an issue. The Konica Auto S2 is one of the handful of RF cameras I have hung on to. It even has an auto setting. Look for a clean finder, accurate, aligned rangefinder patch and a shutter that runs well on all speeds and, of course, a clean, haze-free lens.</p>

<p>To Christopher,<br>

Any of the Yashica G-series are well worth a try. Great lens,40-45mm depending on model : so good a gent in Japan repurposes them for Leica M mount,at premium prices ,parallax corrected v/f,a very good Cds meter - good enough for Kodachrome ,at the time, and a very bright and accurate rangefinder - if you can see it,the Yashica will focus it.<br>

Cons : 3 out of five will need TLC. If you are a screwdrivers and soldering iron type,two of the three will be recoverable. The battery issue is a ..non-issue. Tape 4x S76 cells together,in a tube,.add a suitable spring,and go. (original was 5.8v).<br>

Search engines bring up a heap of useful stuff..</p>