There is always something to be found

Discussion in 'Macro' started by harold_gough, Jan 10, 2017.

1. I shot these in the recent cold weather. I was testing my first high magnification macro setup with full aperture focusing.
    I wanted to improve on some recent shots of Mothflies which live in my compost bin. I was using my EM-1 with an Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 with the a matched x2TC behind it and a Raynox MSN-202 (25 diopters) on the front. The effective aperture was f18 (f9 on the lens). The FOV was 5mm wide. Hand-held with some support.
    I like to use triple flash but I struggled to get a second one aimed well enough.
    As I was about to lift the lid off the bin, I noticed what I though were two extra large, slightly dark Mothflies on top of it. It was only when I saw the first one in the viewfinder that I realised that they were Heteropteran bugs. And it was not until I saw the first flash-lit image that I was the colours.
    As with the Mothflies, I could not get the low angles I wanted because of the shape of the top of the bin. However, this shows how little DOF was available at f18.
    [​IMG]

2. Here is one of the moth flies, FOV ca 4mm wide.
    [​IMG]

3. I like that punk moth fly!

4. Yes, it's tempting to do something colourful via photoshop.

5. Here is the setup (flash and camera excluded) I am now using for such close shots:

[​IMG]

6. Abstract.
    00eKS0-567477584.jpg

7. Amazing shots, great work!