The "What in the world is that ? ! ? !" thread - Feb 05, 2010

tom_mann1

<p>Dear fellow photo.netters - <br /> <br /> I thought it might be fun to have a "What in the world is that?!?!" thread. Josh R approved the idea, suggesting that it appear in the "Casual Conversation" forum. Below is a set of rules for the thread approved by Josh. <br /> <br /> Note that these rules are different from the rules for threads in the "No Words" forum, and Ton Mestrom's "Streetphotography Review" threads.<br /> <br /> 1. The idea is to post a relatively normal image in which the main subject or some other area of the image can't immediately be identified, but the image hasn't been intentionally (or stupidly ;-) ) underexposed, blurred or distorted just to qualify for submission to this thread. Thus, photo-micrographs, other ultra-close shots, unusual subjects or heavily shadowed / cropped / made-up subjects, foggy environments, unusual perspectives, intentional motion blur done for artistic purposes, and images with similar effects are all likely candidates for posting here. Obviously everyone has to operate on the honor system to make the above rule work.<br /> <br /> 2. The maximum image size is 700 px in the longest dimension and 300kB max file size. EXIF and IPTC data may provide clues, so you may want to strip them out before posting your image. However, please don't manually change the EXIF data to try to intentionally mislead people. <br /> <br /> 3. Everyone can immediately post one and only one image to the thread. If there might be a question as to exactly what people should be trying to identify in your image, a short comment is appropriate, e.g., "ID the third dog silhouette from the left. I'm looking for the stage name of this famous dog, not just the breed."<br /> <br /> 4. Other folks, the "guessers", should then post their guesses in a very short message, e.g., "@Tom_Mann - That just has to be Lassie". Be sure that it is clear which image / poster your guess pertains to. <br /> <br /> 5. No "guesser" should ever post more than 3 messages (ie, new guesses, discussion, complaints about obscurity, etc.) about any one image. This is to prevent discussion any one image from monopolizing the thread. <br /> <br /> 6. The person who posted each image should acknowledge each of the guesses made about his/her image. This can be done either individually, or in a summary posting. Be especially prompt in replying to the 1st correct guess. If no one seems to be "getting it", the original poster of the image can give written (not photographic) hints. The original poster of an image can post as many messages as it takes to respond to others, give hints, etc.<br /> <br /> 7. The reward for the first correct guess is that both the person who guessed correctly and the original poster of the image can now each post a new image for discussion. <br /> <br /> <br /> 8. If it looks like no one can correctly ID a given image, I'll ask the OP to provide the correct identification. <br /> <br /> <br /> 9. Periodically, I'll start up a new thread to gather a new group of obscure images to identify. :-)<br /> <br /> <br /> The goal behind the above rules is to try to keep the thread fun and lively so that lots of folks get a chance to post their images and guesses, but no one can monopolize the thread by posting image after image. Similarly, discussion of any one image should never become so prolonged that it effectively derails the thread. <br /> <br /> Below is my first image. If you guess that this some area on some kind of animal, I need to know what type of animal and what part of the anatomy is depicted. ;-)<br /> <br /> Have fun!<br /> <br /> Tom M.</p><div>00Vh60-217677584.jpg.d7c386a515a810902f1e0ce283df5c4b.jpg</div>

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess if I'ld come up with a well written set of rules like Tom's I could've posted my "Post images you've made money on" thread that got removed in both ''No Words" and CPC with emails to both Josh and James Kazaan. I swear this place gets a bit too finicky sometimes or maybe you yankees have an issue with born and bred southerners. I feel slighted. I'm going to my happy place for a while.

<p>Gary nailed it. It is indeed the hairs on our cat's ear. </p>

<p>Don't forget, everyone can initially contribute one mystery photo, not just the "winner". However, if the winner already has contributed an image, he now gets to contribute another one and have two in the running.</p>

<p>Right now, we need a new mystery photo. I'll hang back a bit to give others a chance to post one.</p>

<p>Tom M.</p>

<p>Oh, what the heck ... To keep the thread rolling, here's my mystery image #02.</p>

<p>To give everyone a hint, as you probably already guessed, this is a time exposure of lights at night reflected in water. The question is, what are the lights mounted on, how are they being moved (or is the camera being panned), and how much water is involved in this image, a drop, a water coated glass microscope slide, a puddle, the ocean, etc.?</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>Tom M</p><div>00VhDR-217743884.jpg.eeb9def697a3ff807e556a0aca060aa1.jpg</div>

<p>Timothy,</p>

<p>Not exactly…but close enough that saying, “no,” would be misleading.</p>

<p>It’s actually an un-peeled navel orange, still on the tree, still in my backyard as I type.</p>

<p>Or, as I prefer to think of it, it’s tomorrow morning’s breakfast….</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Timothy,</p>

<p>Don’t worry. In a couple months when the typical highs are in the upper 90s to low 100s,

I’ll start to envy you. And in six months, when the overnight lows are in the upper 80s to lower

90s and have been for a couple months, I’ll <em>certainly</em> envy you….</p>

<p>But right now? Yes, indeed. Very pleasant here.</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>

<p>Re my mystery image #02, I'm going to say that both John McPherson's and Ben Goren's guesses are close enough to be considered correct. It's actually an ~1 sec exposure of cars on a tiny commuter ferry crossing the Potomac River. Looks like I'm going have to come up with shots that are more difficult to ID.</p>

<p>Don't forget to take an extra turn, guys!</p>

<p>Tom M</p>