The Wave (Coyote Butte)

randleman

<p>All,<br>

I am very interested in getting to the Wave and surrounding areas on Coyote Butte and am wondering how to accomplish this other than getting extremely lucky in the lottery. Are there any tours or other services? My travel can be flexible, and While tours are not my favorite I would certainly do it to get here.</p>

<p>Also, if the lottery is the only way to go, are there particular months that are better than others in terms of improving your odds?</p>

<p>All information is much appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Brad</p>

<p>When we tried to go in September a few years ago we lost out on the on-line lottery and when we tried for the walk-in lottery it was real crowded and we missed that too. We were able to get to Coyote Buttes South which is also very worthwhile, but a longer and harder drive. One of the other people that went to Coyote Buttes South at the same time as us, went back to the lottery the next day and got a ticket. He said it was much less crowded at the contact station on his second try. I'm not sure if they still do the walk-in lottery the same way now, but then if you didn't get picked and came back the next day, you got to have two numbers in the running to increase your chances.<br>

I suppose you've already looked at the BLM site:<br>

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes/permits.html<br>

Good Luck!</p>

<div>00ZG2u-394041584.jpg.9eafd9bbceecde01e0faf2978390b0ea.jpg</div>

<p>January and February are good months, particularly on sunny, non-windy days. Temps are typically in the high 40s/50s and about right for hiking. The best option for applying for a walk-in permit is to apply on Friday when the drawings are held for the weekend. Applying for a Sunday is optimum as the tourist crowd is minimal and the dominant culture in Utah is in church.</p>

<p>Another option that I personally find more satisfying than The Wave and relatively close by although the route to get to it is convoluted and requires a 4WD, is White Pocket. No permit is required and the formations and colors are equally interesting.</p>