The Surprising Solinette

Often referred to as "the Baby Isolette", here's a very pretty little 35mm folding camera, the Agfa Solinette.

Agfa Solinette II

Solinette.thumb.jpg.4cc2b3aa91a9453375b09c79b5d5ec0e.jpg

I've had this example of the Solinette for several years, sitting dismally on a shelf with a jammed shutter, eyeing me with some resentment. A couple of weeks ago decided I couldn't stand it any longer, so I packed it up and sent it off to the retired Leica technician who kindly looks after my fleet of elderly acquisitions. It turned out to be rather a major exercise, with bent parts in the shutter assembly, so we stopped short of a full CLA as costs were mounting in their customary astronomical fashion. The lens and shutter are now fine, but the focusing helical is still full of the dreaded Agfa grease, and focusing is not as easy or as pleasant as it should be.

Created in 1954, this example is officially a Solinette II. There was an earlier Solinette I, but that model is comparatively rare and most Solinetts one comes across are this model. It was manufactured for only a couple of years, before being replaced by the solid-bodied Silette of similar specifications, though the two sold concurrently for some time. There were various combinations of lenses and shutter, with the 4-element Solinar being a more expensive option than this 3-element 50mm Apotar f/3.5. Both Prontor SV and SVS shutters were used, along with a Synchro-Compur, this copy having the Apotar lens in a Prontor SV shutter, probably the most common combination. Apertures stop down to f/22 and the shutter allows speeds of 1-1/300 plus B, the mechanism requiring manual cocking by a lever above the lens. There is an interlock between shutter and film wind to prevent double-exposures. Focusing is quite sophisticated, with a large knurled ring close to the camera being revolved to move the whole lens and shutter assembly to and fro. It's very rare to find a Solinette without stiff or seized focusing, and remedying the problem requires quite some disassembly, followed by cleaning and re-greasing. Here's a pic of the lens and controls.

Lens and Shutter

667552771_LensandShutterAssembly.jpg.b44e60b10b2346c1fe413e10c02773c9.jpg

In terms of design and appearance the Solinette really does look like a scaled-down Isolette. Here's a photograph of the two cameras together, for the sake of comparison.

Isolette and Solinette

1120765918_IsoletteandSolinette.thumb.jpg.72c557f655759cedf14d858df3a35c33.jpg

The Solinette handles well, with a very light and sensitive shutter release and a reasonable viewfinder. Of course, focusing distances are reliant on the user's estimates or an accessory rangefinder, but I guess a few years of experience stand me in good stead for this procedure. I'll post some samples; the Apotar turned in a most impressive performance, to the extent that I forwarded a couple to our Leica tech and he responded with a certain incredulity. Film was Kentmere 100 developed in PMK Pyro, with scans from an Epson V700 Photo using Silverfast SE software.

87.thumb.jpg.05ebfe84fcaac7e7a11cfb9535a7ccdf.jpg

Entrance

Entrance.thumb.jpg.cd12fb0268dc37088b568a926a28fe42.jpg

Abandoned

Abandoned.thumb.jpg.fda5b0b27d8b22a566ef817881fc7b27.jpg

Fixing the Pumps

1044396886_FixingthePumps.jpg.db0e912c80793d59ae305ea3e47daf9c.jpg

Old and New

1162546103_OldmeetsNew.thumb.jpg.c2a405251c9299a16199305c73496da8.jpg

First National

1511162686_FirstNational.thumb.jpg.6732c330712859abae97d824ce652cca.jpg

Stormlight

Stormlight.jpg.3617fd8c4865d24db45f34ceba3e37c5.jpg

Fifty Fifty

1495764751_FiftyFifty.thumb.jpg.f90f173ff44e4881d03c5cc63e46e9b9.jpg

Welcome to the Club

531855648_WelcometotheClub.thumb.jpg.73a881b89167f4dd697ff746edd2b496.jpg

• Like 5

Once again, impressive composition - which isn't that easy with an above-the-lens viewfinder that doesn't have frame lines that move for parallax. There are two contemporaries to the Solinette - the Ikonta 35 and the Vito II. Neither of which have viewfinders that I can use while wearing my eye glasses.

It's been my experience, that the Agfa cameras from 1954-56 have nice coated lenses that yield images with nice contrast.

Best Regards - Andrew in Austin, TX

Super presentation Rick as always, and skilful use of light and shade in the images.

It was a nice piece of design to make the controls usable from above. The fact that the lens is unit focusing is also a bonus.

I had one of these which actually focused quite smoothly, but it's in Italy now. I sold a Voigtlander Vito 2 to a nice buyer in Italy, but accidentally sent him the Solinette instead. They looked rather similar in their leather cases. I told him to keep it as it seemed hardly worth the return postage. I wonder if he ever used it.

This feels like a good time to chime in. I've been lurking and reading for awhile now and I always seem to run across your posts, Rick! I have an Agfa Solinette but it is a fixed lens version. I typically run across examples like the one you've shared here whenever researching this model.

I currently own two Solinettes, one Apotar and one Solinar, both with stuck focussing that I have to get into some day. Solinettes were also marketed in the US as Ansco Regents. Small folding cameras were always my favorites, my main camera for years was a Kodak Retina IIa.

Thanks for the responses. Good to see you here, Bobby; that little Silette you have is a delightful camera, light, very easy to use and with the good Apotar lens. Nice big viewfinder, too. You're quite right, Andrew; I've found Agfa lenses to be consistently sharp and contrasty, while the higher-grade lenses such as the Solinar and the Solagon are really excellent. Yes, it would be a worthwhile project, Charles, resurrecting the two Solinettes. Thanks, John, for your input.

The little Agfas are capable cameras. I used to have a super solinette. Its the same body as your camera but with a coupled rangefinder and Solinar lens. Unfortunately it has problems. The focus was completely frozen and also the supports for the lens had come apart from the folding lid.

I also have a silette , which is the fixed lens version with an apotar, and a super silette.. again with a fixed lens but mine has the f2 solagon.

I'm always impressed by the pronto and prontor shutters on these cameras which are usually working. That is much to be said for a consumer camera 50 years old now.

Ah, my mistake, Bobby. I didn't look too closely at the image of the camera, but close inspection reveals that it's a solid-bodied Solinette, not the later Silette. I don't think I've seen your model in the flesh, and I suspect they are not that common. The later image you posted shows the quality of the Apotar, again. Yes, I have the Super Silette with the Solagon lens, Darin, and the lens really is exceptional. Thank you, JDM and Mike for your responses.

• 1 month later...
Hi Rick, I recently purchased an Agfa Solinette II in a "junk" store. I checked the transport and shutter and was so happy it was a top line Solinar 3.5 lens in a Synchro Compur (1/500) shutter I jumped at it for $13. Of course once I got it out in the sunlight I discovered the bellows was completely ripped. And of course the focus ring is jammed but it was jammed at infinity focus which is fine by me. Well, I built a bellow for it out of fabric and paper which leaks at the front corners but at least I have a process for this (I may commit some of my leatherette covering material for it next) but it doesn't fold any more. I haven't shot it yet but got so excited about my progress I bought another on THEBAY for $15 (+S&H, don't ask) which has a nice leather case. My questions are about getting the focus unjammed: I took out the lens and freed the focus ring in the lens board but when I reassembly the lens, it doesn't turn freely. I see a pin in the back of the shutter/lens assembly that apparently the focus ring must turn to focus the lens. There are three screws in the back of this assembly, can I get at the focus ring grease if I remove these screws? I suppose I can remove the lens and dunk the whole shutter assembly in solvent but I don't want to degrease the shutter cocking band firing springs which seem to be working fine. Or maybe I should just live with it frozen at infinity (or 10 which I assume is meters, not feet). Also, I notice you have a lens hood, what is the tread size for the filters? I have a 1 1/8" and a 1 5/16" push on adapter for Series V that seem to work on the outside diameter but I measure the tread size to be >26mm<29mm. There seems to be scant info about the Solinette out on the net with more emphasis on the better Isolette rangefinder so I'd appreciate any help since it seems like such a nice camera - too bad they didn't spring for better bellows material and improved grease.

Hi Kodakkook123. You seem to be a particularly inventive and adventuresome person! I'm afraid I'm not a source of great advice regarding the freeing up of the focusing helical; as I mentioned in the thread I sent the camera off to get this remedied but the technician pointed out that it was going ro require major disassembly and the cost of this really was not justifiable in a camera that I'd probably use only very occasionally. So, I still have a Solinette with sticky focus. Regarding the filters, it does look like a 27mm internal thread, but I have only a couple of the Agfa push-on type, which are inconvenient if you want to use both regular lens-hood and filter.

Possibly some other wise member will spot the reactivation of this thread and will offer some advice.

Edited by rick_drawbridge

Hi Kodakkook123. You seem to be a particularly inventive and adventuresome person! I'm afraid I'm not a source of great advice regarding the freeing up of the focusing helical; as I mentioned in the thread I sent the camera off to get this remedied but the technician pointed out that it was going ro require major disassembly and the cost of this really was not justifiable in a camera that I'd probably use only very occasionally. So, I still have a Solinette with sticky focus. Regarding the filters, it does look like a 27mm internal thread, but I have only a couple of the Agfa push-on type, which are inconvenient if you want to use both regular lens-hood and filter.

Possibly some other wise member will spot the reactivation of this thread and will offer some advice.

Thanks! I figured I might as well field the question to the larger audience and used your post as a spring board. I agree that the camera just isn't worth the price of a CLA which is why I figured I'd use the first camera as a practice piece and maybe make something of the second one. Leaky bellows and camera quirks can sometimes give artful results which are unique which is what I use film cameras for so maybe I won't try for perfection on the practice piece. When I bought it I just figured I bought a $13 puzzle to solve, I already own enough cameras that shoot well.

A great little camera, Rick. Folded up it is small enough to fit in a pocket and as you have ampley demonstrated capable of producing excellent results.

For repairing light leaks go to your local auto parts store and get some black acid free silicone sealant. Great for repairing small holes in the corner of the bellows. While you are there pick up a tube of black trim adhesive. It is usefull for repairing tears.

For freeing up the focusing assembly remove the assembly from the shutter and put it in a jar filled with a solvent such as laquer thinner or acetone. Cover so the solvent doesn't evaporate and let it soak for a couple of days or until the helicoid threads loosen up.

A great little camera, Rick. Folded up it is small enough to fit in a pocket and as you have ampley demonstrated capable of producing excellent results.

For repairing light leaks go to your local auto parts store and get some black acid free silicone sealant. Great for repairing small holes in the corner of the bellows. While you are there pick up a tube of black trim adhesive. It is usefull for repairing tears.

For freeing up the focusing assembly remove the assembly from the shutter and put it in a jar filled with a solvent such as laquer thinner or acetone. Cover so the solvent doesn't evaporate and let it soak for a couple of days or until the helicoid threads loosen up.

Thanks Rod, though I'm a bit confused by your recommendation. How do I "remove the assembly from the shutter?" will removing the three screws on the back of the assembly do this? Are the helicoid threads under this cover? I discovered that there were two places the grease freezes up: when I removed the lens/shutter assembly from the "lens board" I found that the serrated focus ring was frozen in place which I freed easily enough. I thought this solved the problem but realized this ring must move something else in order to focus the lens and what it does move is a small pin in a ring in the lens/shutter assembly which is also frozen. That's the hard one. If I make progress I'll post it.

BTW, I've used "Blue Magic Brush-On Electrical Tape (Black)" for repairing pin holes and fabric electrical tape (aka "Friction Tape") to reinforce bellows corners. The fabric tape isn't as light tight as vinyl tape but seems to stick and fold better. The Brush On Tape is more viscous than silicone sealant and a bit easier to work with but not sure if it's "acid free".

Wow, nice pic Julio! I'm surprised the bellows is still good and the Agfa grease isn't cement by now. I'm testing mind now with the home-made bellows that will never fold.

Well, I tested my Solinette and unfortunately my repairs aren't quite there yet. My handmade bellows doesn't handle light well in bright sun light, and the stuck focus ring isn't helping to make a sharp picture. So, before I do a another pass on bellows construction I need to figure out how to unstick the focus ring. It does take a reasonable indoor with flash picture but I'd hardly call it stellar. My short test strip revealed various exposure issues. Well, at least it wasn't an expensive purchase and I enjoy the challenge.

Here's an indoor with flash pic. Considering this camera had a completely ripped bellows, I'd have to call this a minor victory.jpg047-2.jpg.8d2ce851e84e6901365b8508cf553074.jpg