The Sublime Topcon RE Super

capitalq

<p>In an alternate universe where engineering and innovation triumphs over marketing and distribution, this camera and Tokyo Kogaku is still King. It's still silky smooth in its operation and simply exudes quality and craftsmanship. Side by side with a Nikon F or the F2 or the F-1 or [<em>insert your choice here</em>], this 50-year old professional grade camera can hold its own against anything produced by its competitors. Simply put, this was one of the best SLRs ever made.</p>

<p>I won't go into too much history but suffice it to say that the Topcon RE Super (or Beseler Super D in the US of A) appeared in 1963 and was the first 35mm SLR to feature fully open TTL metering via a unique reflex mirror which had etched transparent lines that allowed light through the mirror to a meter cell behind it, while still reflecting most of the light up to the viewfinder. This was revolutionary for the time and years ahead of its competitors. Frankly, their system was more ingenious and practical than a pellicle mirror system. Topcon also had a range of top quality accessories and lenses which offered the only real challenge to the Nikon F system for most of the 60s. But while Nikon was brilliant at marketing its cameras, Topcon relied on Beseler to market and distribute its products in the US. Alas, that wasn't good enough and by the 70's Topcon was in serious trouble. And the introduction of electronics into cameras was the death knell for this once proud manufacturer.... </p><div>00ZZqB-413715584.jpg.bb1216eca48f508670d5bddadcbaa251.jpg</div>

<p>Just over a year ago I submitted my first post on the RE Super: <a href="00X7uC">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00X7uC</a></p>

<p>In this post, I lamented that while I had the camera, I did not own any Topcor glass. One of our fellow posters here at CMC Forum, Steve Levine, took pity on me and mailed me his spare set (135mm, 50mm and 35mm) for the price of postage. I remain grateful to his generosity and am humbled by the kindness of strangers. </p>

<p>I often pick up this camera and fondle it. It's crisp, angular lines are handsome and imposing -- it looks like no other SLR. If ever I want to impress a newbie or a cocky dSLR dilettant with how good "old" cameras are, this is the one I hand to them. But I found that I had not actually used the camera in over a year. So I recently packed this in my trunk and made sure it was nearby. These are some results...</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZZqO-413723584.jpg.5f8891fd15decb0a1a3915e1cdcfe8d9.jpg</div>

<p>Nikon was lucky to have an American distributor that was determined to sell their cameras and very clever in how they went about marketing them. Topcon and Canon were less fortunate in this regard. Canon's fortunes took a turn for the better after they broke off their arrangement with Bell & Howell and started up their own American subsidiary (Canon USA). Topcon, despite being more or less the official camera of the US Navy, never broke through to a large audience in North America.</p>

<p>I was in Chicago selling cameras when this was current. I remember the commotion caused when Topcon brought out an auto-winder for their camera. All the Canon and Nikon fans were asking why their companies hadn't made a winder for their cameras. Of course soon the rest of the brands caught up with their own auto-winders. We sold just tons of Minolta, Nikon, Pentax, Canon, and, after they came out with the OM, Olympus cameras. Both Topcon and Konica lagged in sales but had some really good cameras. A few discerning customers came looking for Super D's but sadly, not many. For myself, always being concerned about size and weight I chose Olympus OM and still have the original OM-1 I bought in early 1974. If I had the means I would probably have a sample of each of the main SLR makes from the 'golden age' of 35mm SLR's (1965~1975).</p>

<p>Disclaimer: My comment about the 'golden age' for SLR's and the years it ran are just my opinion and is worth exactly what readers have paid for it. It has no basis other than my personal opinion so please do not call me on it since I don't intend to argue it's validity.</p>

<p>John R.</p>

<p>I've owned and used Topcon cameras and Topcor glass for 35 years now, and I will agree on every point Capital Q makes. Topcon is a wonderful example of form following function. Amazingly, the first open aperture, through the lens metering system was also done right the first time out, using a sensor in the body instead of in the prism, and a chain drive, no less! IIRC, there was a collaboration between Topcon and Toshiba on the metering system. I have Topcors from 20 f4 to 300 f2.8 and almost everything in between, (lacking the 85 mm f1.8, too expensive), and the only dog is the 200mm f5.6 (too slow and not all that sharp).<br>

I'd add that not only do you have a nice camera there, you're also a very solid photographer. Nice bokeh from that Topcor glass, too. <br>

Topcon is still around, too, making surveyor and opthalmic optics and electronics. Unfortunately, they exited the professional camera business in about 1978. But I have 4 of them, and after all these years, they all meter within 1/2 stop of each other.</p>

<p>Toshiba provided the sensitive CdS cell in the mirror. With so little exposed to light, it had to be quite sensitive, and was very physically thin for the time.<br>

Tokyo Optical and Toshiba were also in the same Mitsui Keiretsu in Japan -- so there was some level of common ownership and control.<br>

Beseler was not a great distributor. They took advantage of the "Fair Trade" laws then in effect, and forced all their dealers to sell the products at the same high prices. This did give them more small dealers -- but at the cost of not really being competitive price-wise. I think there were also requirements to stock poorly selling accessories -- for instance there's a glut of Topcon microscope adapters on the used market.</p>

<p>Lovely work as always Q. I'm glad you are making use of the old lenses. I still have a half dozen or so of the more common focal length Topcors. I still shoot my chrome Topcon D1 w/58MM/F1.4. And the lens is a gem. Color slides shot with it really do have a sweet vintage look. I also love the 135/F3.5.</p>

<p>In the 1960's in my hometown of Poughkeepsie,NY. A local newspaper PJ had a bag full of black bodied Topcon gear. Including the rig he shot sports with: a motorized black Super D with a 250 exposure back! Wow, what a machine that was! His black Super D's were the coolest cameras I ever saw.</p>

<p>The Topcons come from an age when even inexpensive cameras were well built. And cameras like the Topcons were built like blocks of metal with a lens. No plastic here.</p>

<p>They're very good cameras - in most respects better than the Nikon F - although admittedly also a newer design.<br>

I think Topcon made a big mistake in adopting the Exakta mount. It made sense in the 1950s when Exakta was the king of SLR sales and the best lens manufacturers in the world were making lenses for them, but it was already outdated by that point. It became a weak point as time went on.</p>

<p>thank you all for looking and posting comments. appreciate the feedback and insights as always.</p>

<p>craigD: you make a very good point about the choice of distributor and Canon's fortunes rising with the switch from B+H. Arguably, this coincided with the introduction of better and less conservative designs.</p>

<p>johnR: no need for disclaimers here. you are most entitled to your opinions. i will only quibble with you in that i would span the Golden Age from 1959 (with the introduction of the Nikon F) to 1976 (with the introduction of the Canon Ae-1). </p>

<p>dennisW & johnS: thanks for the background about Tokyo Kogaku and Toshiba collaborating on the metering system. i have some old 55mm thread filters that are manufactured by Toshiba and always wondered about how they were involved with the optical industry in the Golden Age (always having known them as a consumer electronics giant).</p>

<p>steveL: thanks for the kind words. i'm also a big fan of that 135mm lens you gave me. and that 35mm wide-angle is no slouch either....</p>

<p>daveG: interesting how the adoption of the Exakta mount or the m42 mount had a such an impact on perceptions of modernity and obsolescence.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here are some shots of an evening baseball game I attended with some colleagues in the final days of the Summer. These were taken with the RE Super mated to the 35mm and 135mm Topcor lenses. I used APX 400 film and pushed it to 1600 (I apologize in advance for the grain).</p><div>00Za1s-413959584.jpg.fbea16314316e2978960f66b5a2992d4.jpg</div>

<p>Funny how we can all get together to enjoy a shared experience (in this case a baseball game) but our social networking technology keeps us isolated and apart even when we are surrounded by a thousand people. Seems people prefer to interact with their virtual friends even when there are flesh and blood friends right beside them. Quite sad, really.</p><div>00Za1x-413963584.jpg.d2457f045d08c02d8ccf0d362ea631b5.jpg</div>