The Strangest Samoca

<p>I'd been looking out for one for some time, but tidy specimens seem hard to come by, and I suspect the strange design attracts buyers who want them for their ornamental value. However, this one was offered at a reasonable price, with case and original packaging, so I grabbed it and was relieved to find that it's in good working order. Produced in Japan by the Samoca Camera Co. Ltd. in 1956, it's a departure from the conventional 35mm rangefinder camera design of the era, and went through several models, ending with a particularly clumsy attempt to incorporate a selenium-powered light meter into the design. Like most Samoca cameras, it's solidly built and nicely finished, with a reasonable lens, the 50mm Ezumar Anastigmat f/3.5, a coated triplet that produces images that are reasonably sharp in the centre and so-so at the corners. <br /> <br>

The shutter, adjusted by a little dial set low on the faceplate, provides speeds of B through 1/200, and is one of the quietest shutters imaginable. The chunky focus lever revolves around the base of the lens, moving the whole unit to and fro and operating the rangefinder via the cam above the lens which also doubles as the distance scale. The viewfinder is of a reasonable size with a good bright split-image from the rangefinder. Film transport and shutter cocking are exceptionally smooth, accomplished by one revolution of the large knob surmounting the frame counter on the top of the camera. The rewind release occupies a prominent position on the top deck, and the whole back and base component of the camera detaches for film loading. The body is constructed from a heavy resinous material, well-reinforced by metal components.<br /> <br>

Once one becomes familiar with the rather unusual shape, and the placement of the various components, it's actually rather a nice little camera to use. It really is very diminutive, as is demonstrated by comparison with the size of the film cassette in the picture above. I'd be interested to hear of any other members' experiences with the Samoca 35 Super. I'll post a couple of boring images from the sole test film I shot between storms, nothing of creative interest but just an indication of the quality the camera can produce.</p><div>00chFI-549645884.jpg.0c9fa0a8c21cbe52bb148d859e475cc6.jpg</div>

<p>Great to see the unique little Samoca, a really distinctive design,and A camera that is rarely seen these days. I have often looked at these cameras and was tempted recently by one...but must resist!<br>

Your results look good as always, and just goes to show that if you use any camera within it limitations and apply some talent....then they all can produce good results.</p>

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>I use to think all of the Samocas were strange but around 1957 they changed the looks. As my McKeown's Guide says about the 35 LE, "35mm of conventional design". They adopted the styling that was typical of Japanese 35mm cameras of that time.</p>

<p>Yours is one of the models that gave Samoca their uniqueness. Glad to see it is a good user. </p>

What a unique design. You gave good marks for handing so it must have some intuitive design. I recall

those later models as being conventional.. this is unique..oh I already said that... and the Papa Bear said;

"Oh that split image rangefinder focus is much too clunky for me" and the Mama Bear said: "I can't seem

to hold the camera or comfortably look through the viewfinder"... and the Baby Bear Ricky said .." It's

jusuussst right and took so many beautiful pictures that Goldilocks wanted to try it too!