The story behind one of the best-ever surfing photographs

We typically think of photography as a slow contemplative process. However, this tale as told by young surfing photographer Leroy Bellet, of how he obtained one of the best-ever surfing photographs is a combination of careful planning, athletic talent, and risk. In the video, you can watch him accidentally destroy a very expensive camera while perfecting his harrowing process.

Play the video at, The Story Behind One Of The Best-Ever Surf Shots

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 4

I'm always amazed at the camera work that must be required to get the shots I see in nature programs such as 'Planet Earth.' Like the surf-shot video, they contain some of the most incredible photography I've ever seen, and I'd love to see more on how those shots are obtained. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how much the guy made on the photo. With all the planning and expense involved, is it actually profitable, or is the reward more the satisfaction of getting the shot?

I would guess that having an activity or sport-specific photo published on the top magazine of said activity/sport, to be viewed by perhaps millions, would be not only very rewarding on a personal and professional level, but also lucrative not only in that moment but possibly for years to come.. especially considering the cameraperson is only 17 years of age!

I would guess that having an activity or sport-specific photo published on the top magazine of said activity/sport, to be viewed by perhaps millions, would be not only very rewarding on a personal and professional level, but also lucrative not only in that moment but possibly for years to come.. especially considering the cameraperson is only 17 years of age!

Doing a bit of research, I couldn't find much, but some figures I found for 2012 indicated a cover photo for a surf mag would be worth about $900 then. But I think that was freelance, not someone working for a magazine. The most lucrative photos seem to be those of celebrities at events that are difficult to get into or celebrity candids that put them in a bad light.

I'm always amazed at the camera work that must be required to get the shots I see in nature programs such as 'Planet Earth.' Like the surf-shot video, they contain some of the most incredible photography I've ever seen, and I'd love to see more on how those shots are obtained. Thanks for sharing.

Watch some of the work by Jimmy Chin for one. Film called Meru, also the Oscar winning documentary "Free Solo". Amazing camera work in extreme conditions.

Watch some of the work by Jimmy Chin for one. Film called Meru, also the Oscar winning documentary "Free Solo". Amazing camera work in extreme conditions.

Saw them both. Yes, crazy photography. There are several BBC-produced nature shows available on Netflix (and narrated by David Attenborough) that also feature some of the most amazing filmmaking I've ever seen.

• Like 2

I see Jimmy Chin as a successor to the late Galen Rowell who, back in the film era, was a top notch climber, photographer, and author. He had a strong philosophical bent, and wrote about it as a monthly columnist in Outdoor Photographer magazine. He also published a number of books. I still enjoy reading through his essays in "The Inner Game of Outdoor Photography".

Leroy Bellet is sponsored by Red Bull and others, which helps explain how he can break a $100K camera and still make money. Many of his photos appear in advertisements, not just in surf magazines.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 2

Doing a bit of research, I couldn't find much, but some figures I found for 2012 indicated a cover photo for a surf mag would be worth about $900 then. But I think that was freelance, not someone working for a magazine. The most lucrative photos seem to be those of celebrities at events that are difficult to get into or celebrity candids that put them in a bad light.

Cover photos on Field & Stream and Outdoor Life pay $1,500 these days.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Cover photos on Field & Stream and Outdoor Life pay $1,500 these days.

Just two-years later and Field & Stream no longer has covers, it's web-only. In November, I had two pictures on the F&S Home page. Getty sold each for $100 and I received $20 each.

I have noted that my images take on a much livelier life after being used by a major publication. For instance, the Boston Globe used a picture of a coyote, taken at eye-level, with the coyote walking casually toward me on pavement. It sells several times per month now, whenever a journalist writes an article about urban coyotes. They do a Google search, my image comes up, they see it's at Getty, so they click on it there and the corporate account buys it. I've probably made $500 off that picture over ten-years. I suspect that my F&S shots will have a similar life cycle, when writers write about the white-tail deer rut.

Getty is a numbers game. My cut is from around $1 to $100 per sale, depending on usage. To make any significant money, you need a few thousand images offered on Getty.

BTW, I've given up on trying to guess which ones will sell. I'm almost always surprised.

• Like 3