"The Show Must Go On ... No Matter What ! " (long post)

fotografz

Yesterday was a first for me. It was a day that illustrates how we must overcome adversity to get the job

done no matter what. In a way, it's a reminder for all levels of experience, but particularly for those just

starting out ... because somewhere along the line, something is going to go VERY wrong.

Here's what happened:

It all started out routinely. It was extremely hot and humid and the formals had to be shot against a

huge window with the sun directly back lighting the subjects. But nothing we haven't faced before. The

Groom was quite insistent that we hurry so we could go to an outdoor location, but kept insisting on

variations upon variations which delayed and delayed our departure ... done just in case the weather

turned on us later. Then we headed to the outdoor location.

We could see a horrible black sky moving toward us as we drove into it rather than away from it. But the

clients pressed on ... so we did too.

We arrive, and upon exiting the vehicles became aware of a siren wailing it's ominous warning. My

partner and I advised the clients to not go into the location to far away from the Limo as we grabbed

our cameras.

As we set up the first shot, all hell broke loose. I cannot describe the deluge adequately other than to

say I was soaked to my shorts before I could even turn around to run for the SUV ... lightening bolts

crashing down all around us.

As we dashed back we discovered that the Limo driver had left !!

Up over a small bridge to my truck we ran, and in the process I severely pulled the area behind my knee

and hobbled the remainder of the way to my Volvo. The Bride, soaked to her bloomers, dived into my

back seat ... crammed with ancillary gear including an aluminum ladder and folded reflector. The groom

was still partially outside .. so I jumped back out to get a large doorman's umbrella in the back cargo

area ... which the fierce wind not only immediately blew inside out, it literally stripped the covering off

it. The fire-hose like rain was blown horizontally into all the camera gear now. I've been in Hurricanes

tamer than this. There was an inch of water in the front foot wells from just opening the door to get the

umbrella.

Inside, my partner went to take a photo of the B&G huddled in the back and a couple of shot glasses of

water poured out of his light modifier. He was using a weather sealed Canon, But I had stupidly carried

my MF digital camera which is NOT weather sealed ... which needless to say, was of great concern. But

we were much more worried about the poor B&G.

Driving onto the Reception Hall, the power was out everywhere, and many times we had to detour

around downed trees with rain so hard we could barely see the end of the truck's hood.

I always carry a spare shirt ... but not this one time. We had to complete the remaining contracted time

(4 hours) soaked to the gills and looking like drowned rats ... not to mention that my injured leg was

just a very painful stump to drag along has I hopped from one shot position to the next. We dried off

the gear, wrung out our shirts as the B&G were attended to by the hall vendors, parents and attendants.

Later that night, I had to take the money out of my wallet to dry it on some paper towels. My leather

belt was still completely soaked, as were my unmentionables and socks. We downloaded ... and we had

got the shots, come hell or high water ... both of which we experienced.

Have a nice day : -)

Why did the limo driver leave, and was the b/g upset about that? Never doubted that you would get the job done under the most adverse circumstances, but you are very thoughtful to still feel "poor b/g," because I would have been more concerned and worried about my equipment, then my worry for the b/g.

Some people may say "kill all the lawyers" but in my opion, photographers world wide would chime in for "Kill all the limo drivers!"

Glad it worked out ok. Must say that lightning is my greatest fear.

Will never forget being on a metal ladder at Trophy Point at West Point and watching the bolts hit the water behind the bride and groom.

We made a mad dash to vehicles and just missed being soaked. Had to wait it out to even drive to the other side of the base.

Brooke

Why I love my hometown:

"The climate of the Boise River Basin is characterized by hot dry summers and moderately cold winters, low to submoderate precipitation, low velocity winds, low humidity, and a large proportion of sunny days".

Hey, the government said it, so it must be true. ;)

Anybody wanna move?

Later,

Paulsky

No one even mentioned anything mean to the Limo driver. It's one of those things that if it

started, the only photos from then on would have been mug shots of everyone who

feloniously assaulted the driver.

He had returned to the location AFTER everyone was soaked, but there was no way to

transfer the B&G to the Limo. We did that by driving to a dollar car wash and pulling into

one of the stalls.

Upon getting to the reception we dragged all the gear inside and carefully wiped it off. The

MF digital acted up at first which freaked me out, then calmed down and was fine.

All night long, as the B&G visited tables, they related the story and praised their

"wonderful photographers" who stuck with them. The Bride even sent her Doctor cousin to

check on my injury. I literally cannot walk today ... not good considering I have a shoot

tomorrow : -(

No pics until I get their permission.

I think i covered the range of emotions reading your post! I went from nothing to chuckling to wincing in pain (I've had a serious knee injury)to sadness to worrying about the knee & then the gear.

Take care of the knee ... the rest doesn't matter much if the wheels don't get you there for the duration.

"Thanks for Sharing!"

(you've got to be writing a book ... or at least be starting one and keeping notes)

Don't feel bad Jaimie, it was my first thought also, and why I took off like a bat out of hell

only to hobble half the way back. The first thing my partner said was about the gear, to which

I said "what about the B&G".

Yeah William, it's one for the book... LOL.

Okay, here's one photo ... my partner said he showed it to the the B&G later at the reception

and they loved it ... so I guess it's okay. As they visited tables it was the story of the night ...

and I overheard them tell friends how wonderful their photographer was in trying to protect

them. That's my soaked shirt in the bottom right corner.<div>00MMpt-38189784.jpg.abba74864d42c10f80ae792e65b7473b.jpg</div>

That is one seriously soaked shirt. And I love that it's _on_ your 1Ds.

So far I've just gotten some bad sunburns. And I don't burn, almost ever, so that's a big deal. Seriously, weddings in california are tough.

:-). Way to go, marc.

allan